acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

Acura Legend LS: I have a 1995 Acura Legend. In a recent 1,700

I have a 1995 Acura Legend. In a recent 1,700 mile trip from Seattle to Wisconsin, it burned 1 quart per 300 miles. My average speed during the trip was 60 mph. I also used 1/2 gallon of antifreeze during this same trip. I've also notice that once in while sitting at a stoplight at idle a lot of blueish smoke comes out after around 15 seconds. Also, the car seems to run hot and some steam rises from the intake manifold area of the engine, although the water temperature gauge shows normal temperature.

On the highway the gas mileage is 26mpg. In the city, it is 12 mpg.

After the car sits for a day or so it starts hard. Two days ago we went to try to start the car and it would not start. We removed the spark plugs and all but one spark plug was dripping with oil. After pouring 1/4 cup of gas into 4 cylinder, cranking the engine to clean the cylinders , putting back the spark plugs, it started fine. After this we began working on the car.

We checked the compression which turned out to be:
Cylinder 1 was 175 psi
Cylinder 2 was 180 psi
Cylinder 3 was 179 psi
Cylinder 4 was 170 psi
Cylinder 5 was 180 psi
Cylinder 6 was 175 psi

We took off the heads, and the head gaskets seem fine. We replaced the head gaskets two years ago, and we were thinking that the problem was this again, but like I said, the head gaskets look fine.

After removing the heads, we pooled oil around the rocker-arm/valve area, and did not notice any oil leaking through the valve stems.

We checked the PCV valve and it was not clogged and seems fine.

So, if the compression is in the range of 170 to 180 psi, and the head gaskets look fine, what is wrong with the engine? Why is it using so much oil? Why do we get oil in the cylinders after it has sit for a day or so? What is going on???
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doug, welcome. I'm acramstr. And I will be assisting you today. I would change the valve seals anyway. The oil cant really travel up to get in the cylinders so it must be coming down the valve stems. These engines will leak through the valve seals when they get this many miles on them .I have replaced many sets on these for this. I have never seen a cracked head on one of these 3.2 motors but if they are still off you should have them pressure tested. I have not seen any ring problems in these in fact I have many customers with over 300k on these that don't burn oil through the rings . If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1