acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

Acura RL 3.5: Vibration between 40-50mph on 97 Acura rl 3.5. The

Vibration between 40-50mph on 97 Acura rl 3.5. The vibration is coming from the right front side of the vehicle.

Hi Sir or Madam, welcome. I'm acramstr. And I will be assisting you today. The upper bushings wear on these. But usually they make a grinding noise or squeak. A little left to right movement is normal. Inner CV joint wear is the most common cause of vibration at this speed .Especially if it stops when you let off the gas. I would take a good look at the right axle. We see the front struts seize on these as well after they are lifted on a hoist. So if you lift the car take the front tires off right away to lessen the weight on the strut stops to help keep them from sticking. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bushings on the upper control arm are very loose ,i can move from left to right with very little pressure.

With cv joint would their be any play if the joint is bad?

The struts have been replaced.

They can be hard to tell for sure. But sometimes there will be play in the joint when you grab the axle shaft at the inner joint they should be very little movement. The best test is to get them vibrating and let off the gas. If it stops its the joint. The ball joints and upper bushings are not as sensitive to load as the axle so reducing the load does not effect them as much with a slight change in engine load. With axle vibration's you can usually feel them in the floor of the car or through the seat as well, Not so much with the arm bushings. If you decide it is axles beware of Chinese new axles or cheap rebuilt units they sometimes vibrate worse then the worn ones.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you recommend any after market axles?

It does let up when i let off the gas but not much play in the shaft.

The vehicle vibrates pretty good which made me think half shaft but when the half shaft seemed tight i started looking at other components.

Thank You

Hi Steve, To be honest I think it is an axle problem. I have not had very good luck with aftermarket axles in these . If you have a local supplier that rebuilds them you might be ok. If you want to be sure they don't vibrate use Acura factory rebuilt axles. They are more than the others but at least you know they are good. I once put 3 sets of new axles in one of these and they still vibrated. Then I put a known set from another car and fixed it. Put factory rebuilt ones in and have not had any problems yet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just checked the axle and it does have some play.

The car does shake pretty hard which has to be the axle.

I found a oem rebuilt for $141.50 with $70 core charge and comes with warranty.

I appreciate your advice.

ok, make sure the rebuilder has a good reputation if you can. I try to replace both axles because they both work at the same time and if one goes the other is never far behind. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.