HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

Hi.. I had my transmission replaced with a re manufactured

Hi.. I had my transmission replaced with a re manufactured transmission about 6 months ago. Recently an engine light came on, followed by the VCM-4 light. Both are on now. I took it into an independent shop for diagnostics, and they say it is showing a code 77. Do I need to replace the PCM or can I just get a software update?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

hello and welcome to justanswer.com, code 77 that's all they gave you? then didn't give you a Pxxxx number?

Customer:

no. I can call and ask..

HONDASERVICE7791 :

that would be very helpful

Customer:

77-01, p0325

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok hold on please

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok i research both of the codes you have

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the 77-1 code is for the vtm which is the all wheel drive system on your MDX. according to the instructions the code needs to be cleared first and then drive the car again and if the light comes back on then the vtm-4 control unit will need to be replaced. this is a control unit not the PCM. this is a separate control unit for the all wheel drive system. sometimes this could just be an intermittent fault and clearing the code and making sure there are no loose connections will do the trick.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the p0325 code is for your knock sensor system

HONDASERVICE7791 :

have you had any work done recently since the transmission?

Customer:

I had it replaced 6 months ago.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

but nothing since then?

Customer:

No other work, the shop i took it to for diagnostics checked all of the connections, and reset it

Customer:

and the light still comes back on.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

cleared the code and the light came back on when? as you were driving from the shop?

Customer:

No it is still in the shop. He said he cleared the codes and it came back on after test driving it.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok because the connector on the knock sensor is not easily reachable, that's why i am skeptical they "checked" the wiring

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the knock sensor is located under the intake assembly and is very hard to see much less reach

Customer:

hmmm. What is required?

Customer:

I mean, What is involved in checking it.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

well in order to check the sensor and the actual connector, you would have to partially dissassemble the intake

Customer:

So what do you think I should do? Is it Ok to drive if these lights are still on? Why would the knock sensor be going off?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

well that's the issue here, usually the knock sensor doesn't just fail, it is a result of somebody damaging the sensor or a related connector. keep in the back of your mind here that in the end if the sensor checks out and the wiring is ok then the next course of action is replacing the PCM

Customer:

What should that cost?

Customer:

I heard somewhere that when a transmission is rebuilt they should replace the PCM, or update the software... Can it be a software issue?

Customer:

Also, does the knock sensor indicate another problem?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

yes there are certain models that the pcm should be replaced along with the transmission, i would have to check on that and get back to you tomorrow but yes this could be all a software issue if that's the case

Customer:

Can it just be updated on a car as old as mine?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

no the pcm should be replaced

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for your help.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

1. Do you know how much a PCM is? ( on average) ? and 2. Is it Ok to drive it?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

as much as $700! if you are not having any driveability issues now then you could continue driving it with the lights on

HONDASERVICE7791 :

any more questions?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i can switch the question from chat mode to Q&A mode, if you have any other questions then you can post them there. please do not rate my service until you are completely satisfied and can rate a good or above. Thanks again

Customer:

It wont hurt the transmission to drive it?

Customer:

( My only worry).

HONDASERVICE7791 :

no it wont but you might have issues trying to use the vtm-4 function

Customer:

I never use it!

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok then you shouldn't have any issues then

Customer:

ok thanks

thanks for the excellent rating and have a good rest of your day
Hi Kriste,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Juan S.