HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

RL: My 2005 Acura RL would not start earlier. All the lights

My 2005 Acura RL would not start earlier. All the lights on the dash came on, but it did not make a sound. I searched my owner manual and it told me there may be a problem with the "auto control mode" the manual directed me to hold down the brake pedal, make sure car is in park, do not depress the gas pedal and turn the start nob to Position 111. I did an it immediately cranked. What should I do now. I am worried the auto control mode is bad and i will have this problem again.

I received an "error message" from your website when I tried to make the deposit.
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 1 year ago.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

hello and welcome to justanswer.com, has this problem only occurred this once?

Customer:

Never happened before

Customer:

I have started it since the and it turned on automatically. but i am worried this will be a problem later

Customer:

anyone there?

Customer:

I think I have been duped...

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i dont recognize that procedure that you tried

HONDASERVICE7791 :

excuse me?

Customer:

belay my last

Customer:

That procedure came from my owner's manual on page 263

HONDASERVICE7791 :

let me look at the owner's manual myself and i will get back to you momentarily

Customer:

okay

HONDASERVICE7791 :

do you think you could hang on there?

Customer:

yes

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok i read the owner's manual

Customer:

okay

HONDASERVICE7791 :

that procedure is only to inure that the starter only runs until the engine start

HONDASERVICE7791 :

this is particularly helpful in colder weather.

Customer:

yes, but should I be concerned?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

this does not keep the starter from turning or make it start turning.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

what you might have is a starter motor starting to go bad on your vehicle.

Customer:

therefore what would be your professional opinion of what I should or should not do?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the starter is essentially a a big electric motor, over time a bad spot may develop on the starter armature.

Customer:

is the starter electric?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

in the beginning this spot is very small and by coicidence you landed on the spot and the car did not start

HONDASERVICE7791 :

cycling the ignition key moved the starter slightly off the bad spot and the car started

HONDASERVICE7791 :

yes it is a big electric motor that turns over the engine

Customer:

okay, do I contact my Acura service manager to get it replaced?

Customer:

electrical is under warranty

HONDASERVICE7791 :

over time this spot will become larger and eventually the starter will have to be replaced

HONDASERVICE7791 :

if it only happened once then i personally would wait until it happened again or happened more frequently

Customer:

the starter motor should be replaced while under warranty?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i would definitely have it checked out by the Acura dealer because there could be other factors here as well, battery condition, battery corrosion or battery cables or the ignition switch could be faulty as well

HONDASERVICE7791 :

unless you have an extended warranty you are no longer in factory warranty

Customer:

I have an extended warranty

HONDASERVICE7791 :

ok then it should be covered by the extended warranty

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i would take it to the Acura dealer and tell them it would not start for you once and you cycled the key and it started again

HONDASERVICE7791 :

please check the starting and charging system

Customer:

thank you. I will use this information to inform my service manager. I have always only taken my car to the dealer where I purchased it. it has never been taken anywhere else

HONDASERVICE7791 :

that's good they are the best at being able to repair your Acura

HONDASERVICE7791 :

do you have any more questions

HONDASERVICE7791 :

?

Customer:

thank you for your help, I appreciate it, Can I get a copy of our chat?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i would not know how that is done. you can try to print it and see if you can get it or i can switch it out of chat mode and i know you can print it from there

Customer:

okay, I will try, Thank you again, I really appreciate it. Goodbye

HONDASERVICE7791 :

thanks for using justanswer.com, please rate my service good or above. let me know if you need any more help.

HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience: OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.