acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

Acura TL: I take care of my senior parents 1999 Acura TL when

Customer Question

I take care of my senior parents' 1999 Acura TL when it needs simple work. Last week they went out and it began to overheat. When I looked at it, the coolant was at full level. It hasn't been changed in about 60k, so that is something I will do soon.

The primary issue is that the fans will not kick on. When I idle the car up to temp, it will raise into high temp with neither fan engaging. If I turn on the A/C, the driver-side 5-blade fan which Acura lists as the Auxiliary Fan will turn on, but not the passenger-side 4-blade fan listed as the A/C Condenser Fan.

I have a replacement fan on order for the 4-blade. Looks to be a 3 minute swap when it comes in.

My concern, and my question, is regarding why the driver-side "Auxiliary Fan" would not kick on to assist cooling the car when high temps are reached. I am worried there might be an electrical issue or broken sensor or relay I should be tracking down.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brett, welcome. I'm acramstr. And I will be assisting you today. It sounds like you have a bad fan motor. Both should run with A/C on, And one not running will cause the car to overheat. Check for power and ground at the fan connector, If it is there you should be ok. Another thing common on this model is debris collecting between the condenser and radiator blocking air flow. When you have the fan out take a hose and spray water back toward the front of the car to flush the fins Use a strong enough stream to make the water come out of the condenser (finger over end is enough) You will be surprised on how much stuff comes out . Then replace the fan and we can go from there. These don't usually have fan problems beyond an occasional bad motor. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.