acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1
8300270

Acura RL: I have Acura RL 2005. The A/C stop working. When

I have Acura RL 2005. The A/C stop working. When hit the Auto button, the Radiator fan and condensor fan work fine. I think the Compressor Clutch not engage at all. Ran the diag ---> Check unit ---> Aircon, it shows nothing. Already check the under hoot fuse number 12 (7.5) and #30 (7.5) under dash. All look good. I have no idea what is the problem now. Any help from the expert would be really appreciate.

Hi Sir or Madam, welcome. I'm acramstr. And I will be assisting you today.Check for popwer to the compressor field coil. We see these fail all the time on this model. You can unplug the coil at the connector behind the pulley and check for power with the a/c on. also check the resistance of the coil when it is HOT and see if it is high. Here is the test. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi acramstr,

Thanks for your reply. I'll check sometime this week and will let you know. Also I forgot to mention that the A/C blow out the hot air only. Do you think could it be a A/C Compressor relay?

Thanks,

DTN

It could be, But it is most likely the clutch coil. We see this all the time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi acramstr,

Do you have the instruction for how to get to field coil? I was thinking about remove the tire on passenger side to get to the field coil.

Thanks,

DTN

You can get to it through the wheel well and I have done this this way before. The biggest problem you will have is removing the snap rings holding the clutch together . They are a tight fit and regular snap ring pliers wont always open them enough to get them out. So be prepared for a little bit of struggle there. Acura has a special tool for this that makes it easier but it still can be hard . use a 3 jaw puller to pull the clutch off . Here is the instruction from the manual showing how to replace it. Click the link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89860259/rl%20comp.pdf