HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE

Acura 3.2CL: My Acuras A/C started blowing warm air and the

My Acura's A/C started blowing warm air and the car started to overheat while in slow/stopped traffic. After I got home and turned off the engine, a fan was audibly still running for a few minutes. I've since driven the car with the A/C on a couple of times in regular city traffic and have not had this happen. I checked the radiator coolant and there does not seem to be any leak. There are 2 fans behind the radiator and I did notice that when the car is running with the A/C on (parked) only the fan on the driver's side is turning.
Thoughts?
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 9 months ago.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com,

HONDASERVICE7791 :

yes both fans should be running when the a/c is switched on

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the condenser fan is probably the one that is not working. you can check for power and ground right at the fan. if you have both then the fan is faulty.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

if you wish to do the job yourself i can send you a link on the steps neede to replace the fan.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. do not rate my answer until all your questions are answered and you are completely satisfied enough to rate my service good or above. thanks again

Customer:

I can turn the non-spinning fan manually, meaning that it's not physically jammed up. I'd rather not do this job myself, but would probably think that the link you mentioned is helpful. I just want to know the likely cause(s) for this problem so that when I take it to a local shop (not an Acura dealership), I will at least know enough to not get ripped off.

Customer:

I'd also like to know which fan stayed on that one time after I shut off the car...

Customer:

?

Customer:

Hello? I'

Customer:

I've not yet received a response to my follow up questions...

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the fan could still be faulty even though you can spin it manually. you will need to check for power and ground at the fan connector which is located on top of the fan. if you have power and ground then the fan is faulty.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the fan running after you turn off the key is probably the radiator fan and this is a normal operation

HONDASERVICE7791 :

if you are standing in front of the car which fan is running? driver's side or passenger's side?

Customer:

Driver's side fan is the only one of the two fans that spins when I have the car parked and running with the A/C on

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the link i would send you would only be to replace the fan if you wanted to do that and you have stated you do not want to do that

HONDASERVICE7791 :

that is the radiator fan so the a/c condenser fan is not coming on

Customer:

So just to be clear (since I've already read a lot online)... The condenser fan should always be on when the A/C is on, correct?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

yes it should and it will come on also to help the radiator fan in high temp conditions

Customer:

So it makes sense that the fact the condenser fan is not turning on: A) is responsible for the car beginning to overheat when driving in slow stop&go traffic with the A/C on and B) does not result in an overheating car when I drive normally in city traffic with the A/C on... correct?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

yes it makes perfect sense.

Customer:

Great. So it sounds like it could be as simple as a bad Condenser Fan fuse, or a need for a new condenser fan. Approximate cost for either to be done in a shop please?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

let me look it up please hold on

HONDASERVICE7791 :

the fan motor is approximately $210 for the part and 1 hour shop labor to replace it. if it is a fuse then you would probably have to pay some diagnostic time which most shops start at 1 hour labor shop time

HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience: OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE