George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification

Acura RL: I have a 2005 Acura RL. I am putting things back

I have a 2005 Acura RL. I am putting things back together after a timing belt change and I can't get the rear cam to TDC no matter how hard I try. Any suggestions?

When you move the rear cam what happns? Does it just not stay in place or do you feel resistance to moving it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can move it about 45degrees before it won't turn further then it releases back. The TDC mark is at the bottom of the pulley.

Put the crank 90 degrees before or after its mark then try turning te rear cam to its mark. It will siut in place 1 tooth befor the mark. All the pulleys turn clockwise when driven by the crankshaft so before is 1 tooth counterclockwise from the mark.

Let me know if it feels like you are hitting something. Do not force anything.

Did the belt slip or break causing you to replace it?

Let me know so I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This project started 3 days ago after the dealership said the drive belt tensioner bearings where wearing out. The car has 125k so I decided I do both belts, tensioner and water pump. Things went well until now. Getting the rear cam to TDC has been a bi--h. Any help is appreciated I need the get this on the road by tomorrow.

OK, try turning the crank 90 degrees to get the pistons down then rotate the rear cam and try to get it up to its mark.

Let me know if that works

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Turning the crank shaft 90 did the trick but it won't line up. Do I keep turning the cam until it does or will I need to find a way to hold it in place until I slip the belt on?

It is a tossup, if you have a helper to hold the cam that is one way or I find that it will balance one or two teeth before the mark. If you can find the correct place it will balance then set all the marks like that and install the belt. Be sure to turn through two complete revolutions of the crank once you get the tensioner on it to be sure all the marks line up again.

The valves were hitting the pistons when you could not turn the cam so as long as you did not try to force it you should be OK, If you get a really rough idle after you install the belt then you need to run a compression test and see if all cylinders are within 10% of each other.

Let m eknow how I can help

Thank you