Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  Master ASE Tech, Ca. smog lic

Acura CL: i have a 1997 Acura CL 3.0 it seems to have occasional

Customer Question

i have a 1997 Acura CL 3.0 it seems to have occasional trouble shifting but if I switch to neutral and back to D4 it shifts. Out of nowhere I lost reverse lights (bulbs are good) the D4 light is flashing and the speedometer is shorting out. I don't know if they are all related but it seems possible.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 1 year ago.

Kyle N :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X an Acura expert. I'd like to help you with your question today.

Kyle N :

It sounds to me like you have a problem with the range switch. That's a switch that tells the car's computer what gear you are in. If the bulbs are good for the reverse lights and they don't come on in reverse the switch isn't working correctly most likely.

Kyle N :

As far as the D4 light flashing that's a normal condition when you have a transmission related problem

JACUSTOMER-5rhv56gi- :

Is there anyway to test if it is the range switch? Does the range switch control the speedometer as well?

Kyle N :

The first step to fixing this is to have the car's computer scanned for trouble codes.

Kyle N :

If the range switch is faulty it should code for it

Kyle N :

There is a test for it where you Ohm check the connector pins in various gears

Kyle N :

It shouldn't disable the speedo BUT it could cause shifting issues that could cause the speedo act funny

JACUSTOMER-5rhv56gi- :

Autozone is open for another hour so I may run it down there real quick and have them test if out for me

Kyle N :

That would work as long as their scan tool can read transmission related faults

JACUSTOMER-5rhv56gi- :

What would be your guess as far as why the speedometer is malfunctioning?

Kyle N :

Is it working at all? Intermittently?

JACUSTOMER-5rhv56gi- :

It's pretty sporadic starting today

Kyle N :

On your year CL the speed sensor is most likely faulty. It's on the outside of the transmission and pretty easy to replace.

Kyle N :

Just unplug it and remove a 10mm bolt and pull it out.

JACUSTOMER-5rhv56gi- :

ok. I am going to run down and see if Autozone can read it and price check the parts. thank you!

Kyle N :

No problem

Kyle N., ASE Certified Tech
Experience: Master ASE Tech, Ca. smog lic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took it down to Autozone they gave me a series of codes that are wrong with the car

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Oxygen Sensor

Faulty EGR Valve

and one that oddly enough simply said to "fix other problems"

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay replace the vehicle speed sensor first and then it should go back to normal. The O2 sensor should probably be replaced as well but you might be able to get away with just the speed sensor now just to get it back to normal. That speed sensor is critical to the operation of the transmission. The other stuff is not.
The EGR isn't going to cause an issue that you will notice with the engine.

Hope that helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I have the VSS on order however I have a new problem as well. The parking and reverse gears are not working. Could this be related to the vss as well or is the transmission going out? I am waiting for my motor to cool down so I can check the transmission fluid now

Update. I check the transmission fluid it was low but didn't fix the problem. Oddly when I put the car in neutral it put it in drive

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 1 year ago.
Range switch is bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the range switch and where is it located?

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 1 year ago.
It's the switch that tells the computer what gear the transmission is in. If it's faulty it will repair wrong and that will cause some shifting issues or it won't shift at all.
It's located on the side of the transmission.. I would wait and see if the VSS makes a difference first then go on to the range switch if you are still having issues.