Jim
Jim, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  18 yr honda tech, 30 yr expeience, 13 ase mastertech

In my 2002 Acura TL 3.2 my blower motor melted and also the

In my 2002 Acura TL 3.2 my blower motor melted and also the connectors I replaced both of them but now the fan is on high I checked to make sure when I lower it the fan speed decreases and raise it to make sure it increases but when I install it there is barely any air passing through the vents I don't know what to do
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jim replied 1 year ago.

jimhondatech :

hi this is jim, it sounds like the blower resistor has gone bad, when the blower got too hot and probably ruined the resistor

Customer:

hey jim my twin brother told me the same thing can that cause the fan to not blow through the vents

Customer:

I checked the resistor and it seems like it is corroded

jimhondatech :

yes your brother is right, if you want i can send you a test for the resistor to make sure it is no good

Customer:

how can I test it

jimhondatech :

let me send you the test, check it out and see if you feel comfortable doing the test, it isn't that hard, hang on a sec i will send it to you

Customer:

ok

jimhondatech :

Attachment: tltransistor.pdf

Full Size Image
here is the test, the hardest part is removing the wire from the connector, if you some kind of metal pick that will work to release the tab

Customer:

ok im gonna test it now

Customer:

brb

Customer:

my resistor works but its not blowing high in the vents

Customer:

the fan speed is good but its not blowing hard

Customer:

through the vents

jimhondatech :

ok, have you checked the cabin filter for being clogged

Customer:

no how do I do that

Customer:

?

jimhondatech :

i will send the instrcutions

Customer:

thank you

jimhondatech :

Attachment: tlcabin.pdf

Full Size Image

Attachment: tlgove.pdf

Full Size Image

you should be able lower the glovebox enough without taking the console apart

Customer:

ok im gonna check now

Customer:

I checked it was clogged I cleaned it at I turned the air on but I don't feel a strong breeze within the filter like its not blowing but I hear the fan on high but I don't feel it

jimhondatech :

where did you get the blower motor and another dumb question, you didn't reverse the wires in the plug when you replaced it so it would run backwards

Customer:

I got the motor from a junk yard and when I realized it I bought another from autozone and it did the exact same thing as the one from the junkyard so I returned the motor and kept the one from the junk yard and the wires are the same colors

Customer:

when its on it sucks my cigarette smoke towards it

jimhondatech :

well the only other possible problem is the control head went bad when the blower overheated and is not the the blend doors work correctly

Customer:

what are the blend doors

Customer:

and do you mean the climate control panel which turns my ac on and off

jimhondatech :

yes the blend doors are inside the heaterbox and they move to direct the airflow when you use the different modes on the a/c control panel

Customer:

how can I access them

jimhondatech :

you really can't, the control head controls them, see if the modes change from defrost to center to lower and check the air output if it gets stronger

Customer:

ok if that doesn't work

jimhondatech :

then the control head was damaged when the blower overheated what happens is the control head cannot handle the extra current

Customer:

so then that means I have to replace my control head

jimhondatech :

correct

Customer:

is it an easy job or should I have it professionally done

jimhondatech :

it involves taking most of the dash apart to remove it, you want a shop to do to prevent anything from breaking

Customer:

ok thank you for your help

Jim, Honda Master Tech
Experience: 18 yr honda tech, 30 yr expeience, 13 ase mastertech