MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience.
10834442

Acura MDX: 2003 Acura MDX with 200,000 miles. A/T temp light

2003 Acura MDX with 200,000 miles. A/T temp light is on. Just had transmission fluid changed this week. Then drove 1500 miles. We are not pulling a trailer, and are on the open road. We followed the owners' manual and turned off the engine and let it cool down. We just turned it back on after 15 minutes and the light went off. Is it safe to drive another 2 hours to our destination?

With no mechanics around, what should we do?
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

this is a sign the transmission is failing or a long shot the atf temp sensor is failing.

was the transmission fluid dirty when it was changed and did they do a transmission fluid flush with a machine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my last response to your question?

No nothing showed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just had our trusted mechanic do lots of maintenance work this week. I don't know if the transmission fluid was dirty when he changed it. It's too late to ask him. Shop is closed.

Here is what the receipt says:

"automatic transmission fluid service (1 hour labor)
Trans Far Case Fluid Service ($70)

I do know that we opted not to do one thing since he said it could be done later and affects the emissions....so on the receipt, he wrote:
"Will come again p0456 you have to do later replace purge valve"
Hmm sorta vague on the service.
Have you checked the fluid yet ?
This will be the yellow dip stick just beside the battery. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground and then check the fluid with the engine off. Lets see if this is low or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband did check the fluid. He says that it was full and clean/clear.

Now we have been driving 30 minutes at 70 mph and no light has come on.

ok this could be a intermittent issue with the atf temp sensor that is on the transmission case.

I would continue your drive and have this temp sensor checked at the very first opportunity

lets just hope it's a bad atf sensor and not the transmission slipping and going out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we agree and hope it is just the sensor. Thanks for your advice.

this is the best case scenario right now until this can be properly looked and then a more clear and accurate solution can be made since the facts will be more present.

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience.