BigBob
BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

I was told that my main engine seal was leaking oil. I took

I was told that my main engine seal was leaking oil. I took it to my mechanic who told me he had to drop the transmission to replace it.
He did the job and when I picked up the car he told me I would still have a leak as the oil pump seal was also leaking.
He said the oil pump seal was in a different location to the main engine seal and could be changed when I change my timing belt in about 10 K miles. He suggested changing the water pump at the same time.
Does all of that make sense? Will the oil pump have to be changed also?
Category: Acura
Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.

BigBob :

Greetings and welcome!!!!!

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
Yes this does make sense. The rear main seal is on the back of the engine block and the oil pump seal is on the front behind the timing belt. As long as the leak is not real bad, it would be ok to wait and do it at the same time as the timing belt. You should replace all the cam seals, crank seal on the front, water pump, tensioner, idler, and timing belt at the same time. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cam seals ? The camshaft I presume from your reply has seals that are accessible when the timing belt is being changed. Is that the case?

Also what front crank seal ? Is the seal he changed a rear seal for the crankshaft and the other that he should change a front seal for the crankshaft at the front of the engine block?

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
Yes the cam seals are done while doing the timing belt, because they are accessible then. There is a front and rear crank seal, so since he removed the transmission that would be the rear one he did. The front crank seal is behind the crank pulley and also done at the same time as the timing belt. What he did is at the rear of the engine, and what is still leaking, according to him, is on the front of the engine.

Please let me know if I can help further,
Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You mentioned above "You should replace all the cam seals, crank seal on the front, water pump, tensioner, idler, and timing belt at the same time."

There was a bit of confusion when I referred to the "idler" and I was questioned if I was referring to the "drive belt idler" sometimes referred to as "tensioner" or "timing belt idler pulley."

I was told it was not necessary to change this item as it seldom goes bad and it would be a waste of money to do so. Could you clarify this terminology and explain if we are talking about the same thing i.e the "idler" to which you referred, why is it necessary to change it?

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
I was referring to the timing belt idler pulley. Although this idler seldom goes bad, it would not be a waste of money to replace everything while in there, because if this bearing goes bad it could do major engine damage, so I look at it as a small price to pay for insurance. If you do all the things mentioned above they come in a kit. Give me the year make model and engine size and I will look up the part.

Bob
BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Bob. All is well. I have already got all of the parts. I'll get the timing belt idler pulley as well.

Your rating - excellent. Good luck to you.