George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification

Have an 01 Acura RSX base bought used last fall. It has 103K

Have an '01 Acura RSX base bought used last fall. It has 103K miles on it now. There is a BG sticker under the hood for BG services at 50K. What is the recommendation for services now, especially transaxle fluid? Have BG service done or just replace with Acura trans fluid multiple times? Trans. fluid is pretty dark. Did change oil already with MobilOne synthetic.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The BG sticker should show what fluid was replaced.

If the trans fluid is dark and smells burnt the transmission is slipping, the '01 is not a good transmission. Are you having shifting issues? Let me know so I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey George,

I put the wrong model year - it is an '02, if that makes a difference. The BG sticker indicates auto trans and power steering service at 50K from what I can read.

Does not really make a difference. Those years were not the best for Honda/Acura transmissions.

Is the trans slipping or banging into gear?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No tranny problem. Question is about maintenance needed. I think Acura recommends doing drain/fill 3x instead of clean/flush like BG.

Glad to hear you don't have shifting issues. I would not do a flush but I would do a fluid exchange. The Acura way does the same as the fluid exchange but it takes longer. One drain and fill changes about 50% of the fluid, the fluid exchange with a machine does about 90% in a single operation.

The BG flush is a fluid exchange plus an additive chemical that is added before the exchange to loosen and dissolve (their words not mine) so I would just change the fluid without the chemical, the fluid has cleaners in it already.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you