Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager

acura legend: hello I have a 1986 acura legend wich would not

hello I have a 1986 acura legend wich would not start it would try but fail I changed the fuel pump ,changed the plugs, got it going drove it around the block got 3/4 of the way and died finally got it started again got it home started it up just fine in park gave it some gas got to around 1500rpm and it bogged out. tried this 4or5 times same thing tried it again it was reving up to 3000rpm and then died .pleae advise thank you
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

About your vehicle.

Do you know if there is spark to the plugs when it dies?

Also a pulse to the fuel injectors?

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for replying , no I dont know if there is a spark when I grab a hold of the hose coming from the fuel filter to the I think its the vaccum the hose pulses its not a steady flow .and the check engine light is not should know that this is the furthest I have ever gone working on a car and thats only because I happen to have the original manual for this car . Thank you very much look forward to your response
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Actually the fuel filter doesn't have a vacuum hose to it. You may be checking at the fuel pressure regulator? Does there seem to be any raw fuel in the vacuum hose? Also, were the old spark plugs wet with fuel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The spark plugs were all carbonized and your right its the regulator looks like a top
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they sometimes go bad and allow way too much fuel pressure. One indication, (without a pressure test kit) is wet inside the vacuum hose. However, at a higher RPM it shouldn't bogg down to where it stalls out. You will want to see if it is loosing spark or if it's weak.

If you put a screwdriver in one of the spark plug wires and hold it about 1/4" away from any metal on the engine while someone cranks it you should see a good blue spark. I am thinking that there may be a problem in the ignition system, which is all contained inside the distributor.

Normally I/we will replace the distributor with a remanufacured one, (or a good used one) if that is the case. Same with injector pulse, which is run off the hall effect sensor in the distributor as well.