Andrew
Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Master tech for 11 years.
64561840

Have a 2005 Acura TL, need to replace navigation module. If

Have a 2005 Acura TL, need to replace navigation module. If I get an after market stereo/navigation can I get any functionality of the current system or does it make more sense to get a re-manufactured module?

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Acura questions today.

OnlineMasterTech :

Are you referring to the actual Navigation unit or display? Also what functions are you wondering about as far as installing an aftermarket unit?

OnlineMasterTech :

I know that with the audio system in this car you would have to install multiple adapters to get any sound from the aftermarket audio unit.

Customer:

The navigation module in the trunk had some detergent spilled on it and is non-functional. Sent it off to Alpine and they said non-repairable. As far as I know the rest of the system in the car is fine. I never had any issue prior to the dvd module failing. Trying to decide if better to replace with re-manufactured module or to get all new after market system.With the after market sytem, I would like to be able to use Blue tooth, use current speakers from system etc. If I get a re-manufactured module is it costly to get re-programmed or can i do it myself with updated navigation software?

OnlineMasterTech :

The best route to go would be to either purchase one from a salvage yard through EBAY or to go ahead and get a refurbished one from Alpine. The problem with adding a newer aftermarket system is going to be the compatibility of getting everything to work through the speakers.

OnlineMasterTech :

If you purchase a used/reman unit you will just need to remove the DVD from your old Navi unit in the trunk and install it into the new unit.

OnlineMasterTech :

You don't have to have the Navi system re-programmed but you can purchase update discs from the Honda Navigation website if your old disc is not able to be used. The disc's typically run between $150-200 and will come with all of the latest streets added.

OnlineMasterTech :

That is a link to the Official site to purchase update discs.

OnlineMasterTech :

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help. Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

Thoughts about refurbished vs used? Best placed to get refurbished

OnlineMasterTech :

Refurbished will always be the better option but can be a little bit more pricey than a used one.

OnlineMasterTech :

There is a link to one on EBAY where you can either have yours repaired (although it does not seem possible for your situation) or purcahse a good used one with a 90 day warranty.

OnlineMasterTech :

That is going to be your best option as the only way to get a reman unit would be through a dealer.

OnlineMasterTech :

Customer:

Thanks for the info!

OnlineMasterTech :

No problem at all. Please remember to complete the rating for me and have a great day!