Andrew
Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Master tech for 11 years.
64561840

TL: Hello,Just bought the 2004 Acura TL, flooded, from auction.Car

Just bought the 2004 Acura TL, flooded, from auction.
Car is coming at the end of the month. I guess it cant be started.
So i already bought the ECU and Cabin Fuse Assy from the Junk Yard.
I guess, after installing these both, i wont be able to start the car, because of the immobilizer.
Is there a way to program new ECU, to my immobilizer?
What do i need for it?
I reside in Tbilisi, Georgia, and we have no dealer here unfortunately. So i have to make everything on my own.

Thank you
Category: Acura
Expert:  Andrew replied 1 year ago.

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Acura questions today.

OnlineMasterTech :

Do you have anyone around your area that has the ability to program keys like a locksmith?

OnlineMasterTech :

Your only other option would be to purchase a scanner that has the ability to program these keys online or to purchase the entire lock cylinder with keys and the immobilizer control unit from the same car that the ECU came from.

OnlineMasterTech :

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help.

Customer:

For sure we have locksmith, but they have no experience with this mark.

Customer:

So if i have keys and immobikizer, from my car, and ecu from other, what can be done?

Customer:

Which equipment should i buy?

Customer:

And technically what should i do to make them work together?

OnlineMasterTech :

Let me look into it a little deeper to see what I can find. I think a Modis scanner has the ability to program the keys but it is very expensive to purchase.

Customer:

I will appreciate your help in that case. How much does it cost? Or what else can be done? Can immo be bypassed? Or i know you can give me immo code from vin . So can i write it to ecu by obd2?

OnlineMasterTech :

There is a video to a tool called the FLY100 scanner which will hook into a laptop to program the Honda keys.

OnlineMasterTech :

I do not know much about this product but it looks to be a decent alternative.

OnlineMasterTech :

That is a link to where you can purchase the tool to program your keys. There is not a way to bypass the immobilizer system unfortunately and you will not need a code with the FLY100 scanner to program the keys.

OnlineMasterTech :

Programming the existing keys to the new ECU is going to be the only way to make this work.

OnlineMasterTech :

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help. Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

So it means i should.program.keys to ecu, and i cant program ecu foe keys?

Customer:

Actually i was told fly100 doesnt work. So thats why i asked if its possible to change immobilizer code in the ecu, so it can link with my keys.

OnlineMasterTech :

Ok I wasn't sure about that tool myself but some people seem to have good luck with it. The only way you can change the code in your ECU is by using a scanner to program the new codes into it.

OnlineMasterTech :

When you are using the scanner you are writing new codes for the keys into the immobilizer control unit which then sends a signal to the ECU telling it that the proper keys are being used and to start the car.

Customer:

But immobilizec control unit and keys have same code. Ecu has different. So i should write codes to ecu. By scanner? Which is the most probable and not very costly. Becayse i cant afford the scanner if its 5K. Its better then to buy new ecu for 650usd )))

OnlineMasterTech :

Even if you buy a new ECU you will have to program the keys to get the vehicle started.

Customer:

i mean new ecu from factpry that has wrotten in codes according to my vin number

Customer:

So are you able to tell me my immobilizer codes and brake code, according to my vin?

Customer:

Then maybe i will be able to write the codes with honda diagnostic system

OnlineMasterTech :

No that is not how it works......the factory will ship the ECU without any programming. Do you have the Honda diagnostic system scanner?

OnlineMasterTech :

If so you should be able to program the keys to the used ECU by using the All Keys Lost procedure.

Customer:

Hds i suppose costs around 100usd so i will be able to buy it

Customer:

And what is that procedure?

Customer:

But if i have ecu and immobilizer unit different, will i be still able to prpgram it?

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes the HDS software is fairly inexpensive but the MVCI or HIM is around $1000 to purchase.......you will need those to provide a unit to connect with the vehicles ECU.

OnlineMasterTech :

You would need the ECU code which I could give you to program the keys.

Customer:

ecu code? For my vin?

Customer:

Or the new ecu code?

Customer:

I mean will new ecu accept code for my vin?

OnlineMasterTech :

I would need the VIN# XXXXX the used ECU on the day that you attempt to program it to the car since it has a rolling code.

Customer:

But i dont know vin of a car new ecu is from

Customer:

I guess i have no chancec except for scanner?

Customer:

Which i dont have ( so i have to buy new ecu, immobikizer and keys from one and the same car :(

Customer:

Am i right?

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes you are correct......that would be the only way to do this without a scanner to program the keys to the used ECU.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you

OnlineMasterTech :

No problem at all. Let me know if you have any other questions along the way and I will be glad to help.

OnlineMasterTech :

Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Master tech for 11 years.