Andrew
Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Master tech for 11 years.

Hello? Is anyone there?

Hello? Is anyone there?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Andrew replied 1 year ago.

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Acura questions today.

OnlineMasterTech :

What can I help you with?

Customer:

Wow, this was easier the first time. I have a radiator crack and has been bonded. I am afraid it cracked on the other side and am looking for a replacement.

OnlineMasterTech :

Ok were you looking for a factory OEM radiator or wanting to go with an aftermarket?

Customer:

Well what's the diff? Is one better than the other. The one in my car is plastic and it cracked all along the top. Just below the cap. I prefer a metal radiator. But what do I know. That's why I'm calling on the experts :)

Customer:

I'm a girl.

OnlineMasterTech :

Lol.....I understand that. Unless you go with a aluminum racing radiator it will be hard to find a radiator with a metal tank.

OnlineMasterTech :

OEM is going to be your best option but much more expensive. Let me give you a few links where you can purchase a radiator.

OnlineMasterTech :

Do you have a VIN# XXXXX your TL or do you know if it has the 2.5L or 3.2L engine?

Customer:

I just want to get it fixed because I need to go to Corpus next month and I don't want to have to worry about my car breaking down. The way it looks now, the radiator cracked on the other side opposite the one I bonded.

Customer:

my VIN# XXXXX

Customer:

I know that OEM are more expensive. About $400. What about an aftermarket? By the way, what is meant by Dansco and Showra?

OnlineMasterTech :

In that link you can purchase a new OEM radiator.

OnlineMasterTech :

Do you mean Denso and Showa?

Customer:

That's it!

OnlineMasterTech :

$334 from that site.

OnlineMasterTech :

It is the manufacturer of the radiator. Which do you have?

Customer:

Original?

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes but it will be either a Denso or Showa

Customer:

I'm a girl! How am I supposed to know? You tell me.

OnlineMasterTech :

It will say on the top tank of the radiator.

OnlineMasterTech :

I won't know without being able to look at it......sorry.

Customer:

So is an aftermarket just as good?

Customer:

I see they run about 1/2 over an OEM.

OnlineMasterTech :

Some are.....it just depends on where you purchase it from. AutoZone offers radiator's that are very good comparable to the OEM.

Customer:

OK, there's an AutoZone near here. What do I tell them I need?

OnlineMasterTech :

Just go to them and tell them what model Acura you have and they will be able to look up the different options for you.

Customer:

Oh, ok! You have been very helpful! Anything else I should know? Will the radiator come with whatever is needed to get it replaced?

OnlineMasterTech :

It will be just the radiator with all the fittings for the cooler lines. I would also recommend installing new upper and lower radiator hoses while you are doing this if they have never been replaced.

OnlineMasterTech :

You will have to swap over the cooling fans from your old radiator.

Customer:

Expensive? Not that I'm cheap. I like to keep my car in good condition, it's my lifeline to my job.

OnlineMasterTech :

No the hoses will only be additional $30-40

Customer:

What about the cooling fans? Is that the fan that runs when I turn off my car?

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes that is correct.....if they are working at this time I would not replace them.

Customer:

Don't replace the hoses?

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes replace the hoses but not the cooling fans unless they don't work.

Customer:

Now I'm really confused. Make it simple for me. Buy radiator and hoses but no cooling fan?

Customer:

When would I know that the cooling fans don't work?

OnlineMasterTech :

If you turn your A/C on with the car running both fans should be running. If both fans are running then they do not need to be replaced.

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes buy the radiator and hoses but no fans.

Customer:

Ok. Yes I think I hear 2 fans come on when I have the A/C on. Never really stopped to listen, though. So I will turn on A/C and listen for 2 fans, right?

OnlineMasterTech :

Well you can listen or pop the hood and look at each fan that is mounted to the radiator. You will be able to see them spinning.

Customer:

If they're spinning, I'm good!?

Customer:

You have been very patient with me and I appreciate that. Thank you for bearing with me

OnlineMasterTech :

No problem at all and yes you are good if they are spinning.

OnlineMasterTech :

Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

I absolutely will.

OnlineMasterTech :

Ok Thank You!

OnlineMasterTech :

Did the rating box show up for you?

OnlineMasterTech :

Please remember to rate me for my service. Thank You!

Customer:

Yes, it did. Now am I going to be charged $15 a month or just for this session?

Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Master tech for 11 years.