Andrew
Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Master tech for 11 years.
64561840

2009 TSX auto 2.2 , 100k miles Customer complains of excessive

2009 TSX auto 2.2 , 100k miles
Customer complains of excessive gas consumption, oil very low, but clean. Checked plugs, used but in normal condition. Compression test: 205-195 across all four cylinders. Top end sounds a bit noisy to me, maybe a seal or lifter? What are your recommends?

My next test would be a leak down test, see if there is any air passing through the valves (intake valve problem:air noise in intake, exhaust valve problem: air noise in tailpipe).

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Acura questions today.

OnlineMasterTech :

What kind of fuel mileage is the customer getting? What are the fuel trim values?

Customer:

Sure, dont tell anyone but my this site has play a critical role in my business. saves me alot of time on repairs....

Customer:

they are saying something like 20-25 mpg hiway

Customer:

i think its rated for over 30

OnlineMasterTech :

Honestly that is not too bad for the mileage and the excessive oil consumption. How low was the oil?

Customer:

below dipstick

Customer:

she could be driving hard but still concern about apparent lifter/valve noise

OnlineMasterTech :

These engines have had issues with the pistons scoring the cylinder walls and causing excessive oil consumption. This can also lead to excessive fuel consumption due to fouled plugs and poor combustion.

Customer:

I am not sure about fuel trim values

Customer:

plugs look ok, heavy usage but no carbon or excessive lean condition

OnlineMasterTech :

This engine does not use lifters as it is an overhead cam setup. I would check the valve adjustment for the valve noise as that could also be contributing to the fuel consumption.

Customer:

oh, these are solid lifters....

Customer:

didnt realize, especially for a honda

Customer:

could you supply the valve adjustments figures?

OnlineMasterTech :

Also with excessive oil consumption we have seen the timing chain stretch and cause some noise so that is another thing that you should inspect.

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes I can get those for you.

Customer:

in your experience, have you seen a 100k 2.2 motor need a timing chain?

Customer:

seems rare to me, but i know it happens

OnlineMasterTech :

Valve Clearance

Intake:

0.21-0.25 mm (0.008-0.010 in)

Exhaust:

0.25-0.29 mm (0.010-0.011 in)

OnlineMasterTech :

It is rare but if the engine has repeatedly been run low on oil it can stretch the chain.

Customer:

ok i understand, whats your recommendation besides checking clearances? timing check??

Customer:

on this engine, are there multiple timing marks on balancer? or just one for whatever the timing is set by factory?

OnlineMasterTech :

I would also instruct them to check with the dealer as there is a few TSB's out for the excessive oil consumption. The latest bulletin calls for replacement of the pistons and rings in certain excessive consumption situations.

Customer:

if i got the vin would you be able to check that? Will the dealer want the service history? (i know they ususally do for anything big)

OnlineMasterTech :

The crank pulley does have two sets of marks........rotating in the clockwise rotation it will be the second set.

Customer:

and finally, would the tsb cover a car out of warranty?

OnlineMasterTech :

It says it is just for manual transmission models and I just noticed this an Automatic.

OnlineMasterTech :

So the TSB will technically not apply to this model but I would still make the customer aware of the problem so they can contact Acura to see if there is any help for them.

OnlineMasterTech :

If the customer is a multiple owner of this product with a good service history they will be much more likely to get help on the repair.

Customer:

ok i will check it out...but i may do the leak down test after adjustment to see if valve are sealing, because i am thinking the cylinder pressure is good enough to say the rings are at least in decent condition, despite low oil ......would you agree/disagree with that analysis

Customer:

(valve adjustment)

OnlineMasterTech :

Yes that sounds like a good course of action. The rings that are affected are not the sealing rings however, it will be the oil control rings which is why the compression is still good.

Customer:

yeah, just realized that, silly me

Customer:

that makes alot of sense

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX i know what i need to do

OnlineMasterTech :

Ok not a problem......let me know if you need anymore assistance along the way and I will be glad to help.

Customer:

sure , i have a feeling i will thank you..

OnlineMasterTech :

Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

OnlineMasterTech :

No problem at all.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi as a followup can you send me the TSB that relates to the oil consumption

Yes I will get that together for you tonight when I arrive home. Thank You!
Click Here for the tsb.