Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632
Acura

RL: I have a 2005 RL. It will not crank over. When you turn

I have a 2005 RL... Show More
I have a 2005 RL. It will not crank over. When you turn the ignition you can here a very mild click sound but nothing happens. The battery is strong. From what I can find online there are relays that may be out. I have found the "starter relay" but I see that there is apparently a "Starter Cutoff Relay" and I cannot find where it is located on the vehicle. Can anyone tell me where to find the "Starter Cutoff Relay" and also let me know if I am on the right track. I would like to change both of them out as they are about 10 bucks each and an easy fix if they are the problem. The car has 93,000 miles on it but the forums indicate the starter motor rarely is the problem so I have not removed the starter to have it tested.

Thanks.

Cliff

Ok one relay is in the auxiliary relay holder underneath the left side of the dash:

graphic
graphic
graphic

the other is in the driver side fuse/relay box:
graphic

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

None of these diagrams look like my car's fuse boxes.

Here is a link to a picture of my fuse box under the hood. No. 16 is the starter relay.

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/2005-ACURA-RL-Starter-Relay-p/acura-55252-rl-4.htm

you asked where the starter cut relay is located, not the starter relay.

there are 2 starter cut relays. One is in the driver's side fuse/relay box and one is in the auxillary relay box underneath the left side of the dash near the steering shaft.

Those diagrams and photos are straight from the ACURA 2005 RL FACTORY MANUAL.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.

hI,

here is part of wiring diagram where these 2 starter cut relays are clearly identified as well as their locations:

graphic

Again, this is a FACTORY wiring diagram

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify, the one that I have not seen online for sale is Relay Cut 1 near the steering shaft. It looks very different from the pictures shown on the websites. Rockauto.com has good pictures if you want to see what I have been looking at. So, that is why I am requesting the part number if you have it. The dealer will gouge me if I go there. Thanks for the help.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I have not heard back from you. I assume you may have hit the hay for the evening. Thanks for the help and I am sorry I was confused at first. You would be amazed at the wildly different information I am finding on the auto parts websites. Some sell the Starter relays but also call the same part the starter cutoff relay but have a diagram of it in the place for the starter relay So, I have been very confused. I understand the diagrams you sent and they are exactly what I needed. The last advice I need is whether you think I am on the right track and any part numbers would be greatly appreciated, particularly "Starter Cut 1" located near the steering shaft. Thanks again and god night.

not sure if I have the part numbers, but will check.

Yes, the relays are the first place to start on this.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Great! Thanks! I have a feeling the part numbers for the two relays in the fuse boxes are the same. But, if I look online, there is note that for the cutoff relay 2, one part is good on certain vin #, while a another relay is used for models with later vin #s.

That's why I am looking for part numbers to cross reference. Thanks again.

just so I pull the right part numbers, can you post your VIN code.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Mmy VIN # XXXXX XXXXX

Ok, going by your VIN code, starter cut relay #1 and #2 are both #39794SDAA03
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. But the pic you sent of cutoff relay one looks completely different than cutoff #2. I was expecting the starter relay and cutoff relay 2 would be the same. I'm off to the parts store now. I will check. Thanks.

hmmm. will do some further checking, but you can play it safe by taking the relays with you. there should be factory numbers on them that the parts store can cross reference
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I will do that. But, the car broke down 25 miles from the parts store. Pain in the butt. I will let you know. I think when I get under the dash, now that you showed me where to look, that they may all be the same part. Thanks for all the time and help.
HI,

you are welcome and if this doesnt solve it, you can re-open this at any time for further help. All related followup is FREE
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I may have to reopen because electrical always drives me nuts. But, I hope not. Thanks again!!

you are welcome and I am here everyday