thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

TL: I have a 2003 Acura 3.2 TL that overheats (temp. gauge

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Acura 3.2 TL that overheats (temp. gauge spikes into the redline zone) when the vehicle is driven on local streets (stop and go traffic), idling in traffic or when driving uphill on highways or local roads. The vehicle overheats with and without the automatic temperature / ac control being on. The vehicle has roughly 200k miles. Fluids, filters, etc. are checked and changed as recommended in the vehicle's maintenance schedule.

This problem occurred prior to and after replacing the driver-side cooling fan, waterpump and coolant. The fuses for the fans are ok. The AC cooling fan operates when the ac is on and the driverside fan also operates.
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam, welcome to Pearl.com. I'm acramstr.Does it overheat on the highway when driving on flat roads? Have you looked to see if the fins in the a/c condenser and radiator are clean and free from debris? Try putting a ribbon or piece of paper behind both fans and let me know if both are blowing air back toward the engine. (dont laugh I have seen it)