MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience.

CL: I have a 97 Acura Cl 2.2 Mechanic has cleaned all ports,

Customer Question

I have a 97 Acura Cl 2.2 Mechanic has cleaned all ports, new erg valve, still coding insufficiant flow It's stalling when I take my foot off the gas, at turns and when I coast. Not doing it constantly but quite a bit. Seems like gunning it (gently) will sometimes stop it and it will idle smoothly. Also can be hard to start back up after a stall, acts like it's out of gas. Any thoughts on this. Mechanic is stumped..

Thank you!
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago.

MASTER TECH :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

MASTER TECH :

let me first start off by asking does the car run with the egr removed from the manifold?

Customer :

I don't know if he tried that or not, I can check with him . Do you want to tell me the steps and relay it to him when I bring the car back on monday?

MASTER TECH :

just have him start with the removing of the egr valve and see if the car runs or not.

MASTER TECH :

this is key

MASTER TECH :

let me know what they tell you so we can proceed

Customer :

Ok can you e-mail me at creezego61@aol this is my work e-mail and I'm leaving here until Monday.

MASTER TECH :

the site does not allow us to make contact outside the site.

MASTER TECH :

just post the reply back here and I will get the reply.

Customer :

Car is going back to him today will let you know what happens.

MASTER TECH : Ok
Customer :

Just got car back to him today, waiting to hear from him.

Customer :

Ok It will run but just like with a bad vacumn leak idles way up then down.

MASTER TECH :

how bad ? it should stall if the egr port is clean completely .

Customer :

I sent him a text I'll let you know when he gets back to me. I get here at 8:00am and leave at 4:00 so this may be a long process.

Customer :

Hi he's says once the EGR is not closing once it opens

MASTER TECH :

ok it's just after 8 here so I will be online for a while

MASTER TECH :

hello

Customer :

I told him to to recheck ports. He said the ERG is not closing once it opens.

MASTER TECH :

not closing when it opens ?

Customer :

he thinks the egr is not closing once it opens.

MASTER TECH :

hmm

MASTER TECH :

ask him if he removed the egr chamber plate and plunged all 4 ports in the intake

MASTER TECH :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Are you referring to cleaning the ports? He said he has taken it apart and has cleaned all ports, but that he would check them again.

MASTER TECH :

the plate marked with the red arrow is the egr plate

MASTER TECH :

each runner has a port. I use a long pick tool and make sure each runner is clean. this p0401 code is very specific

Customer :

OK Ill let you know when he gets back to me

MASTER TECH :

ok

Customer :

Yes he did

MASTER TECH :

he plunged through each port ?

Customer :

Yes

MASTER TECH :

hmm

Customer :

he says that alot

MASTER TECH :

where they pluged

Customer :

I meant he says humm alot

MASTER TECH :

ok

Customer :

didn't mean to throw you off sorry.

MASTER TECH :

ok

MASTER TECH :

tell him to make sure he hit's every port. the dia of the port is about 4-5 mm in diameter

Customer :

I told him you said recheck them all, I think that's what he is doing now. I'll let you know what happens..

MASTER TECH :

also tell him their is ports past the top plate ones.

MASTER TECH :

im thinking he unplugged the top ones only.

MASTER TECH :

the main ones are still in the middle of the plate openings that's why I use a long pick tool to poke through the egr port

MASTER TECH :

its not going to poke through easy either. the carbon build up is like rock so he has to feel around inside and the tip of the pick will hit the spot and then push in real hard it should poke through

Customer :

Ok I will tell him.

MASTER TECH :

ok

Customer :

Ok he said he did all that, he said to tell you when he unhooks the vacumn hose from egr the valve will close and the car runs fine, what do you think?