HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

Rl: My 2005 Acura RL wont start. Dome light will come on in

Customer Question

My 2005 Acura RL won't start. Dome light will come on in car, but that's about it. Keyless ignition will not turn, head lights will not come on, key remote will not lock or unlock car. Recently changed batteries in key remotes. Just had battery checked and it was good. Tried to jump car and that won't work. what could it be??
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 3 years ago.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

have you checked the fuses yet?

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

yes, I checked the ones under the driver side dash, and under the hood. still nothing. The only thing that works are the dome lights. I have to open my door with the key because the remote doesn't work either.

HONDASERVICE7791 :

it has to be a main power issue, either a battery cable is broken, very loose or one of the main fuses, the big strip ones, in the fuse panel under the hood is blown. it would be a 50 or 100 amp fuse

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

the car starts when I manually use the key. I think one of my door handles went bad :/

HONDASERVICE7791 :

i would think that the remote is faulty before I would blame the door handle.

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

the only buttons that work on my remote is the alarm... i cant lock, unlock, or open trunk using remote. anyways, ok. so i took it to the dealership, paid the $125 diagnostics. they said my passenger side door handle shorted out (probably due to the carwash i went through earlier that day. to replace it would be over 700. i asked them what would happen if i unplugged the sensor?(cuz i really dont need it to pay that much just for it to be working) they replied by saying that it wouldnt short out anymore (obviously). so i unplugged it. but the problem still persists. the car is tripping out. my fog lights dont work, like 6 different lights are on on my speedometer/cluster... i still have to start the car manually using the hard key.. some other weird things are like my gps screen doesnt turn on, i cant open my gas tank lid, but i can open my trunk (with the buttons on the driver door).. driver seat moveable only when the ignition is on, passenger seat works normal with ignition either on or off. sitting in the driver seat, i can only open the driver side window. other windows open with their own door switches. when i open the door, the dome lights only come on if the ignition is on. also, my low frequency horn is shorted out as well, so when i honk my horn, fuse number 13 blows, causing the break lights not to work, cant shift into gear, and vca and sh-awd lights coming on in the dash. ive had this problem ever since i got the car, so i stopped honking the horn. maybe that did something? i unplugged the horn so that i would be able to use the horn without fuse number 13 blowing. and lastly, when i start my car using the hardkey, the speedometer says "welcome driver 1" so obviously it recognizes the key. the dealer wants to charge me more just to find out what else the the door handle might have shorted out.. wouldnt that be covered in the 125 dollar diagnostics? anyways... the car is at home. i can drive it and all, just that all of the lights are on on the dash, which is kind of annoying. any ideas?

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

also, fuse number 7 was blown when i brought it to the dealer(7.5 fuse), they replaced it. but still, nothing has changed

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

lights that are on on my dash are "cannot detect access point in the key", vsa, check sh-awd, check brake system, brake light, and the one that tells me my foglights arent working. maybe one or two more, i dont remember. telling you this off the top of my head

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Wow, my head is spinning from all the problems you have just described! lol There are so many problems here it is hard to tell if they are all related. the fuse panel could be shorted, could have gotten wet. the wiring in the door for the door handle may be shorting out, corroded from moisture. $125 must be there 1 hour diagnostic charge, not sure if they will give you more diagnostic included in that price. I do know that if i was presented with your vehicle, I would ask for "straight time" which is the actual amount of time it is going to take to properly diagnosis the problem This could end up costing you a substantial amount of money.

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

tell me about it haha. before the passenger door handle shorted out, the car ran perfectly (assuming that i didnt honk the horn so that it wouldnt short out and blow fuse number 13 under the hood). As soon as the door handle shorted out, all of the problems that i just explained to you, occured. im not trying to pay 125 an hour.. cuz im sure it will take forever to diagnose the actual problem... lets say the door handle shorted out something else, wouldn't the 125 dollar diagnostic tell me what else isnt working? they said for them to continue, i would have to replace the door handle. i unplugged it. should that do the trick? something else they said that i dont like is that they said my driver might be shorting out intermittently... the diagnostics thing they they charge for is a joke. i understand that if it's doing it intermittently, it wouldnt show up on the diagnostics all the time, but why would i have to pay more to continue the diagnostics? like, what im trying to get at, is if the door handle wasnt shorted, but something else was, wouldnt the diagnostics tell me that the other thing is shorted out? it's like as soon as they saw that passenger door handle was shorted out, they stopped and told me that that was it, not checking it it could be like some kind of computer or something, if the door handle wasnt faulty, wouldnt the 125 dollar diagnositc tell me what else was? sorry for the confusion.. just having a really bad headache with all of this

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

ok, so i unhooked the passenger side door handle sensor, changed the number 7 driver side under dash fuse cause i guess it was blown??? swear i checked earlier and it looked fine.. but anyways, everything seems like its back to normal, EXCEPT my check abs, check brake, check vsa, check afs, and the sh-awd lights are still on. all fuses are good to go

JACUSTOMER-5drc1ckn- :

????

the $ 125 diagnostic fee is probably for an hour of diagnostics. This would probably include removing the door panel and doing wire, resistance and pin tests on the handle. I can't speak for the dealership involved but it's hard to say if they will give you more diagnostics for that same price.

usually an indicator of all the lights being on is the charging system is not working. check the charging system and see if its charging correctly.

If disconnecting the door handle seems to have fixed the issue, then i would probably replace the handle first or leave it disconnected if you want to do that

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im still waiting on my last question....? the vsa might be caused by something else, in my belief. but who knows

i thought i answered the questions... which was the question you didn't get an answer for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

look up at our conversation

your question about why the vsa and other lights are on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, about the lights that are on...

i would make sure the charging system is ok, various lights on the dash has been a symptom of a faulty alternator in the past.