Andrew
Andrew, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Master tech for 11 years.
64561840

MDX: 2009 Acura MDX. I had the oil changed at the local

2009 Acura MDX. I had the oil changed at the local gas station today. When I went to pick it up the Nav display asked for codes.
When I got home I tried to enter pin numbers (too many times) and then the screen went dead After some research I see that I need the radio and nav codes from the dealer. (The battery must have been disconnected at some point during service.) I found a place where I could enter the VIN and the radio serial numbers but when I went to start the car - it won't start at all. It makes a sick clicking noise and the lights just flash. Will I have to have it towed to the dealer tomorrow?

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Acura questions today.

Customer:

Great!

OnlineMasterTech :

It sounds like the actual battery has went dead on your MDX. It is very likely that the shop either had the key on without the engine running for too long and drained the battery or the battery was close to needing replacement anyway.

OnlineMasterTech :

Do you have the actual codes for both the radio and NAVI systems?

Customer:

No - we did not receive the cards with the codes when we bought the car (new).

OnlineMasterTech :

Do you have a battery charger or cables to jump start your MDX?

Customer:

I have no problem contacting the dealer to get the codes. I was worried that all my fooling with codes caused an anti-theft device to kick in causing my car not to start.

Customer:

My husband is not handy. I will call AAA.

OnlineMasterTech :

No there is not a system that will cause that to happen at all.

Customer:

That is good to know.

OnlineMasterTech :

It sounds like the battery is just dead and needs to be replaced.

Customer:

Okay - I was thinking that if this was a big deal - I would just trade in the car.

OnlineMasterTech :

AAA should be able to come out and replace the battery for you and get you back on the road in no time.

Customer:

Will the dealer have to open up the car to get the radio code off the radio?

OnlineMasterTech :

If you call the dealer where you purchased it they should have the codes on file. If not you will need to get the serial #'s for them and they can get the code for you.

OnlineMasterTech :

I would also look in your Service History book that is part of the owners manual packet and see if the codes are written at the top of the first page.......if you have that book the codes should have been documented when the vehicle had the PDI done right off the truck.

Customer:

Okay. My husband thinks he can hotshot it.

Customer:

I will let you know how it goes. I am afraid that the gas station might have done something worse than draining the battery.

OnlineMasterTech :

Ok let me know if you have any other problems and I will be glad to help.

OnlineMasterTech :

Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

So do I save and exit and rate you later?

OnlineMasterTech :

You can complete the rating now and then come back to this question for any follow ups that you have.

OnlineMasterTech :

All follow ups are included in the price.

Customer:

Your service is excellent. That's good to know. Okay I will rate you.

I just wanted to take some time to thank you for letting me assist you and to let you know that if you ever need anymore assistance to please let me know. If you get a survey on my service from our site please rate me at the highest grade as I would appreciate that very much. Thank You again and Take Care!