George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification

Acura MDX Touring: My wife snagged the Drivers Mirror on the

My wife snagged the Driver's Mirror on the garage door backing out of garage. The two "shells" that enclose the mirror and actuator separated and it looks like some of the internal latch points are broken. The plastic shells are intact but they won't latch back together. I have them together with duct tape for now. Dealer says probably need to replace entire mirror assembly...$400+ parts.....no individual parts available? 2008 MDX, 5DR Tech (No Entertainment or Lift Gate)
Thanks,
XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Acura
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

No the only part that is available is the glass but you should be able to find a used mirror assembly through car-part.com. I see them from $135 and up so you will save a couple of hundred dollars there

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service not the content as you may not like the answer but it is the truth. Only rate when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to click the lower two ratings they are negative feedback so please stop and reply to me via the REPY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
George,
I'll check out the used parts route. Are there any "exploded" views available for the mirror assembly.

I'm tempted to just glue the shells back together. I realize that would make it impossible to change out the mirror itself or the actuator.
Pat
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

The procedure to replace the mirror is below, there are no exploded views of the mirror assembly itself though. With the procedure you should be able to replace the mirror saving the labor and if you order one through car-part.com you should be able to replace it for $200 or so.

Go ahead and glue it if you think it will hold and the look will be acceptable to you, it is worth a shot. The glass is pried out from the bottom of its opening so gluing is no problem

Click here for procedure

And here as well

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification