Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2003 Acura: TL...code p0740 was diagnosed...rebuild

I have a 2003 Acura 3.2 TL. The code P0740 was diagnosed. The mechanic that was recommend agreed to rebuild the transmission. He rebuilds the transmistion without replacing the torque clutch converter solenoid. The car is now jerking and runs worse. He said the solenoid doesn't go bad. The P0740 code has shown up on diagnosis 3 other times. Is this mechanic a moron.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Honda/Acura recommends not to even rebuild this transmission, but to replace it. The main problem with this transmission is that the filter is buried inside the transmission and not serviceable, so over time the debris from transmission wear builds up inside the transmission and clogs the valve body, the torque converter, and fluid pump.

Depending upon what all he replaced, which varies from shop to shop on a "rebuild", the underlying condition is still likely present.

If you can provide me with a parts list of all oarts replaced, I can advise you on what to do at this point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He replaced the gasket, seals, friction plate and steel plate. After the rebuild I still get the code P0740. Replacing the torque converter clutch solenoid.won't make a difference. I cannot buy a transmission after paying $1300 for the rebuilding of the transmission.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, unfortunately he did not address the underlying issues - the torque converter, the fluid pump, the valve body and replacing the the internal filter.

These absolutely must be replaced in order to resolve this issue.

As to the solenoid, replacing it would be a waste of your money as it will not solve anything.

I understand that this is not what you want to hear, especially after spending $1300 on a repair that didnt solve the problem. But for me to tell you anything else, would first be untrue, and second, would only serve to frustrate you further when you found out it wasnt true.

My one suggestion is to contact Acura customer service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor help in this. This is such a well known issue that Acura extended the warranty to 7yrs or 100,000 miles on their transmissions. And even with you being over this, they will offer some help on repair. Every customer I have sent to them has received some help on defraying the cost of repair.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.