MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech
10834442

MDX: personalized setting (mirrors, seat, steering wheel..work only

I have an 08 MDX. The personalized setting (mirrors, seat, steering wheel) that depend upon the #1 or #2 key being pressed prior to opening the door ... work only about 50% of the time. Sometime there is incomplete movement. Sometime there is no movement. Inside the car, the two buttons that are supposed to achieve the same settings rarely work with one push. They must be pushed and held until the seat stops moving, even though it has not reached its final position. A second, third, fourth or even more pushes must be made ... with the seat moving a small amount each time. Finally, the green indicator light comes on showing the correct position. Any thoughts?

MASTER TECH :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

MASTER TECH :

are the power mirrors working correctly or chattering and not returning to the park position ?

Customer:

The power mirror are not chattering that I can tell ... but, like the other settings, they may or may not respond to a single push of the key fob un-lock button, or the driver's door button. I cannot tell that they are performing any differently than the seat and steering wheel positions.

MASTER TECH :

ok the reason I ask is we have a very large failure rate on the mirror actuators on these and this is the #1 problem we see on a daily basis.

MASTER TECH :

I personally do at least 5 a week

MASTER TECH :

the first sign of a bad actuator is the personal seat settings is the red flag to a bad actuator.

MASTER TECH :

How many miles are on the car now ?

MASTER TECH :

do you have Acura care

Customer:

65,000 miles. No on the Acura care. Are you telling me that failed mirror actuators would prevent the seat and steering wheel from moving to the correct positions that correspond with the key used or button pushed?

MASTER TECH :

yes that is correct

MASTER TECH :

Like I said in the above info I see this on a pretty regular basis with the seat memory positions

MASTER TECH :

do this put the mirror to the left side only and then put it in reverse and see if it chatters or moves down and then does not return Home. try this on the right side also let me know what happens

Customer:

OK. Right mirror goes down in R, then back to its previous position quietly and smoothly. L mirror goes down quietly and smoothly ... but after lever taken out of R, goes up with seemingly smooth movement, but chattering sound along the way ... like a very quiet outboard motor .... putt, putt, putt, putt till it reaches previous position.

MASTER TECH :

ok replace the right side mirror and then retest. this should correct the issue if not then some testing on the seat sensor and control unit will be needed.

MASTER TECH :

we have also seen issues with the seat position sensor cause some issues

Customer:

Does the entire mirror unit require replacing !!! ... or can the actuator itself be replaced? Do you have instructions or exploded parts diagram for removing either the mirror or the actuator?

Customer:

I overlooked the fact that you said "right" in indicating the mirror to replace. In my response, I described the "LEFT" mirror as the one that made the putt putt sound while returning to its programmed position.

MASTER TECH :

this is a outer mirror motor

MASTER TECH :

ok the left side if thats the one making the clicking noise,

MASTER TECH :

the mirror actuator is about 50.00 at the dealer.

MASTER TECH :

How many miles do you have on the car now ?

Customer:

Approx. 65,000

MASTER TECH :

let me see if I can find the directions for the replacement ok give me a few minutes I need to switch sides on my lap top

MASTER TECH :

ok

MASTER TECH :

are you a regular customer of the acura dealer

MASTER TECH :

be right back

Customer:

Not a regular customer. Purchase experience became so unpleasant that I have not been back. Would appreciate a part number and tech info on the remove / replace process

MASTER TECH :

ok

MASTER TECH :

im working on it now

MASTER TECH :

here is something you can try also but Don't recall if this actually worked CLICK HERE

MASTER TECH :

please CLICK HERE for service info to replace the mirror actuator.

MASTER TECH :

this takes about 3 minutes to replace once you have all your tools together.

MASTER TECH :

very easy

Customer:

If the problem is a bad mirror actuator preventing seats and steering wheel from moving to their programmed position, then I think you've given me everything I need to make the repair. Thank you very much for hanging in there through all my questions.

MASTER TECH :

your welcome

MASTER TECH :

I do ask that you please take a moment to leave me some feedback, I strive for all positive feedback and bonuses are always a nice treat. Have agreat weekend. Master Tech