1smartcarguy
1smartcarguy, ASE Cert. Technician
Experience:  assoc. degree in auto technology.
32196277

04 MDX: this Power Steering O-Ring service bulletin..only heard

What is this Power Steering O-Ring service bulletin and when did it come out? I have a '04 MDX that is making a noise like the power steering going out. Noise is only heard when the car is cold . Raul in California

1smartcarguy :

Hi, thank you for using justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help assist you today.

1smartcarguy :

the service bulletin is to replace the o-ring at the inlet joint for the steering pump. it helps correct a moan or whine issue from the pump.

the bulletin has been around since at least 2004. it is a very common issue. what happens is it allows air to enter through the o-ring and causes the fluid to form air pockets which creates the moan/whine issue.

1smartcarguy :

whenever you have a power steering pump noise on almost any v6 acura this is the first thing to look at. majority of the time this is the issue and the o-ring is a very cheap part.