MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience.
10834442

95 Legend: told my oxygen senor needs to be replaced

Was told my oxygen senor needs to be replaced in my 95 Legend coupe. But was told by the dealer that I must also relace the throttle body assembly. Is this true, that I must also replace the throttle body assembly? What is involved? It this possible to do this myself?
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 3 years ago.

MASTER TECH :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

MASTER TECH :

did they say why this needed a new throttle body ?

Customer:

No, the problem I told my dealer was that my check engine light was coming on. To repair it, I was told there was an oxygen senor that needed to be replaced. To repair the oxygen sensor problem, I was told they had to replace the throttle body assembly. I was not told that there was anything wrong with my throttle body assembly. Is there more information I should have requested?

MASTER TECH :

well I would only replace the 02 sensor/

MASTER TECH :

I have not had a bad throttle body on these and im going on 25 years with acura and honda

MASTER TECH :

this is a shot gun repair they are doing.

MASTER TECH :

these 02 sensors fail all the time

Customer:

Ok how do I go about changing O2 sesnor? And what do mean by a "shot gun repair" ?

MASTER TECH :

shot gun repair is they are just guessing so this is what we call this type of repair is to replace everything related to the code

MASTER TECH :

you can buy this 02 sensor and install it your self most parts stores will rent this 02 sensor socket

Customer:

Thank You for this answer, I need a step-by-step process or maybe a site where I could go to to understand how to do it. What store do you reccomend, like a pep boys? Just go in rent the O2 sensor scoket & buy the o2 sensor? Whaer is it located on the engine?

Customer:

Sorry I hit send by mistake before correcting my bad spelling.

MASTER TECH :

well this is really a simple process you unplug the 02 sensor and use the socket to remove the sensor and reverse install

MASTER TECH :

the manual does not give much info on changing this sensor as it's right in the open.

MASTER TECH :

but let me look to see what I can find give me about 5 minutes

MASTER TECH :

which 02 sensor did they say was bad ?

Customer:

I was not told which one? how many are there?

MASTER TECH :

their is 2

MASTER TECH :

the left and right side

MASTER TECH :

I would call them and confirm which one or the code that was recovered

Customer:

Ok I did some research and found the O2 sensor is located typically before the downpipe or catalytic converter or on exhaust manifold and the second sensor is after the catalytic converter. Is this true for the 95 Legend Coupe type L? What is the left side - right side aspect all about? And yes, I'll call them on Monday and check whether the code was for the left or right. From the internet, it sounds like I can pick up the pick up the part for less than 40 dollars. Does that make sense?

MASTER TECH :

yes once you open the hood and look down on the exhaust manifold you will see them.

MASTER TECH :

the sensor is before the down pipe and on the exhaust manifold

MASTER TECH :

these after market sensors should work fine in this year

MASTER TECH :

let me find you a picture of this sensor

MASTER TECH :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thanks for all your help - I'm hitting the accept button so you get paid but I have another question on the same car but unrelated to the O2 issue. The next question concerns my speedometer that works intermitantly. The dealer recommended I replace the steering angle sensor and th evehcile speed semnsor or speedometer. When i asked waht does that all mean they said it was the sterring column at a price of $3546

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience.