Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2006 acura: 3.2 tl wont start cranks but no start..die

2006 acura 3.2 tl wont start cranks but no start . it is a friend of mines car said they were going threw alot of water puddles nothing happened at the time, but the next day it would run for a while and then shut of and die . It did this for a couple of days and then it just quit. Took a scanner over and it wont comunicate with it runs on either but no power to fuel pump .any ideas ?
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes i still need help ,yes the check engine light comes on

I will check for anti theft tonight when i get off work .

Sounds good!

I will be waiting for your reply!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

are you thinking it is a anti theft problem

I do not think so.. but I just want to be sure. IT sounds like your computer is not waking up since there is no communication..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok thanks for your help i will be getting back to you

Sounds good!

Also, check to see if the tps has 5 volts with the key in the on position. This will tell us if the computer is "awake"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok no anti lights with key on i have 5 volts to tps

And still no communication with the ECM?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

let me hook it up again give me a min

ok..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no comminacation

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

also put a new battery in and it is asking for a code on the dash ????

It sounds to me like you might just have a bad computer..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how do i find the code it is asking me for on the nav system .

That you will need to call the dealership. Every Acura is going to be different.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i did not want to hear it was the computer. is there a groud anywhere you know of for the computer

You could check the powers and grounds going right into the computer. But if you were missing one, you wuld not have 5 volts to the tps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
damn thanks for your help
You bet!

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than the most truthful most honest information possible. I hope you understand.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey i was looking at my meter wrong it has .523 volts not 5.23
SO no 5 volts at the tps with the key on..correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct sorry i was double checking myself
Ok.. then chances are you do not have power or ground going to your computer. You need to check all powers going into the computer with the key on. This includes all powers from the fuses, fusible links and ignition switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i checked all power from fuse box i will find a wiring diagram and find all the fusable links and chck the ignition switch
Sounds good!

I would just go straight to the computer an check the powers and grounds there so your not search all of the vehicle. This way you will know what exact circuit you need to go after.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the computer located
Under the dash in the center of the vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
You bet!

The more common components to fail that cause this issue would be a bad ignition switch and a bad main relay located on the drivers side left hand kick panel. Wink
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can not find any wiring diagrams to tell me what pins are my power supply to computer. So i am going to change the main relay and go from there. I will let you know if that works .thanks for all your help so far
Sounds good!

Let me know!

Just so you know, if all else fails, you can get all of the wiring diagrams you need from alldata.com for a small one time subscription
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I bought the all data thing and i did there troubleshooting thing and it came back to the computer again . Once again thanks for your help

Sounds good!

I have not had much luck with alldata and their trouble shooting flow charts. I use my own flow charts. I would just check the powers and grounds going into the computer before replacing it. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

AMEDEE