MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech
10834442

Acura Acura TL 96 Acura TL CEL light flashing, D4 flashing,

Customer Question

96 Acura TL: CEL light flashing, D4 flashing, "car through no CEL codes" and non found by ODBII code reader, but car stalling out when car gets warm. It takes 3-5 minute in order to crank-up/turn-over. Temperature gauge says it's not overheating, and I had a several mechanic examined the following: checked fuel filter, cleaned EGR value, disconnected O2 sensors and reconnected them (said these were not problem, because no codes), checked fuses, check alternator and starter, checked spark-plugs and wires. Had all belts replaced.

Further, the car always looses power, even at highyway speeds. Car makes a "clicking" sound after it stalls-out, if you try to start it, with CEL light flashing rapidly, and the process starts over, but no more info. What could possibly be the problem?
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago.

MASTER TECH :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

MASTER TECH :

have you checked to see if the fuel pressure is at spec and also does this have fuel pressure when the car does not start ?

MASTER TECH :

the reason im asking is the D4 light flashes on these when the fuel relay is on the blink.

JACUSTOMER-ebhhg397- :

I had one mechanic check the fuel pressure by taking the bolt off the fuel-filter and depressing the gas-pedal after a stall-out. A stream of fuel shot out almost 12" across the engine bay. He had no pressure gauge to check the the actual pressure to say whether it was in spec, but he told me he was satisfied that it was getting fuel. Do you thing this was not a sufficient check?

MASTER TECH :

well it shows their is pressure

MASTER TECH :

but does not show the system has the correct amount of pressure

MASTER TECH :

you might need to take this to acura to have this looked at since your mechanic does not have the correct tools to work on a acura

MASTER TECH :

when he did this the car was running correct ?

MASTER TECH :

or the car was not starting and he came to the car and did this ?

JACUSTOMER-ebhhg397- :

Yes, the car was running when this test was performed. I appreciate you comment regarding him not having the proper tools to test, but I should remind you that I know the Acura dealer could solve the problem. But, this is a 15 year old vehicle and I need to balance the cost of service and repair with the alternative of replacement. The dealer charges $100/hr to find the problem. Just one day to find the problem, and I've blown the budget, and I have quite a bit of experience in that regard.

MASTER TECH :

ok this will never prove anything this needs to be done when the car does not start.

MASTER TECH :

if you want to fix this problem replace the main fuel relay and drive the car like normal

MASTER TECH :

im 99% sure this is the issue on your car

JACUSTOMER-ebhhg397- :

Do you mean to main gas/fuel pump relay in the fuse box?

MASTER TECH :

no this is actualy called the pgm-fi main fuel relay

MASTER TECH :

this is located in the drivers side dash cover

JACUSTOMER-ebhhg397- :

I'd like to have this part changed out and issue a follow-up if I might. It may take a day or two, but I may have need given my lack of knowledge on this issue. ...I'll be back. Thanks.

MASTER TECH :

thats fine

MASTER TECH :

make sure to buy this from acura only

JACUSTOMER-ebhhg397- :

Yes, I just found the part: ACURA FACTORY PART# 39400-SV4-003 Correct?

MASTER TECH :

let me check

MASTER TECH :

39400-SZ5-A01 / RELAY ASSY., MAIN

JACUSTOMER-ebhhg397- :

I only see the part number that you've present associated with the Acura TL 3.2 model only. I thought the number I gave was for the TL 2.5. Can you verify?

MASTER TECH :

sorry let me check that

MASTER TECH :

39400-SV4-003 / RELAY ASSY., MAIN so yes the one you got listed above is correct

JACUSTOMER-ebhhg397- :

Thanks. I'll be back.

MASTER TECH :

ok