HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

Acura RL: The check engine light stays on..diagnostics

I have an Acura RL, 1999. The check engine light stays on. I've had several computer diagnostics run.
HISTORY:
1. 1st diagnostic indicated bad catalytic converter and bad EGR valve. I replaced both. subsequent diagnostics again indicated both problems.
2. I changed the Catalytic converter (after-market) and the diagnostic only indicated bad EGR valve.
3. Car has always run a little slugish (for that model) and still does.
4. Car now loses all power, intermittently. After being warmed up, the car will unexpectedly lose all power, the engine stops running and the "blue key" indicator continues to flash until I remove the key.
5.Usually, I can only start the car after waiting a few minutes. Once it starts to do this, it will continue to stall and lose all power, sometimes 4 and 5 times in a matter of a few miles until I get home.
6. The last diagnostic, yesterday, only indicated a problem with the EGR valve.

a. What could be causing the loss of power and stalling?
b. Is this likely an Anti-Theft module problem?
c. Are you aware of other owners reporting similar problems and if so, is there a known cause and solution ?
d. Please provide whatever insight you can.

Thanks

HONDASERVICE7791 :

Hello, when you repplaced the egr valve did you clean the carbon from the egr passages?

Customer:

I'm not sure. I would have to ask themechanic who did the work but I suspect he probably did not. Why?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

because the egr passages get clogged with carbon and replacing the egr valve alone doesn't fix the issue. The passageway needs to be cleaned so there is proper flow.

Customer:

1. Do you think this is what's causing the "check Engine" Light to stay on?

Customer:

2. Do you think this is what's causing the Anti-Theft Engine Immobilier to blink and the car to shut down?

HONDASERVICE7791 :

1. Yes, if the system still senses that the flow in the Egr system is still insufficent then it will continue to turn on the light unitl it is repaired

HONDASERVICE7791 :

2. no, it will not cause this issue. this is something totally different. possibly bad immobilizer control unit or key is causing issues, etc.

Customer:

I'm satisfied with your answer and will accept it regarding the check engine light & the EGR valve. I was hoping you might also be able to provide more insight into the immobilizer issue. If you do think of any additional information regarding the immobilizer that you think might be helpful, I would appreciate it.

Customer:

Thanks again.