thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

the odometer on my 1996 acura TL, 3.2, does not work. The

the odometer on my 1996 acura TL, 3.2, does not work. The D4 light is out. I bought a used cluster and it does not work also. I am being told it is a speed sensor. True? If so what do I need to fix it an how do I do it?
Category: Acura
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

Does the speedometer work?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Thank you. Does the trip meter work also?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no..the trip odometer and odometer does not work...speedo yes

Ok, that rules out a bad speed sensor. I hate to tell you this, but it all points to a bad cluster again. Did you buy a used one? Get a warranty?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
bought a used one...no warranty....explain your thought process on why yu think it is the cluster please?
The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) sends signal to speedometer assembly. This signal is responsible for making the speedometer, trip meter, and odometer work. Since the speedometer is working, we know the VSS is doing its job, the rest of the circuit is inside the speedometer assembly. The odometer and trip meter run off gears of the speedometer, so it has to be a gear issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...that makes sense....I guess....is there anything i can do to verify this? if this indeed is the problem where do I go to get an economical instrument cluster?
You have tested it as far as you can go...there are no other possibilities. Try these guys www.evansautomotive.net I have bought from them before and they warranty everything.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK...so just to re-cap:

• odometer and trip odometer do not work
  • speedo works
  • Speed sensor is fine because sppedo works
  • therefore it is a gear - mechanical issue keeping the odometer from working
  • only solution is to replace instrument cluster

i have been told that the D4 light being out is an issue. does that correlate to anything that can be causing this problem?

Yes, that is correct. 100%

The D4 indicator being out would not hinder the odometer or trip from working. It is a separate issue. Did the d4 light work in the other cluster? If so, its usually just a blown bulb.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No the D4 did not work on the new (used) cluster.

Anything else I should look for or at? Replacing the cluster is relatively easy task to perform.

I'm sorry, I meant did the D4 indicator work on your previous cluster.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no..it was out on both clusters.

Ok, it's typical to see these bulbs blown since the light is on 90% of the time the car is running anyway.

There is a lengthy troubleshooting procedure for this, but usually it results in finding a blown bulb. You are going to need to replace the cluster anyway, hopefully the next one won't be blown. If so, you can replace the bulbs. CLICK HERE to see how.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK...sounds like a plan. do you have anyone else other than evans automotive to go to for the instrument cluster? what is a good price to have to pay for one?

You could try www.carpart.com , usually I can find anything I need from the salvage yard, but if not, that's a good site to buy from.

I think the last one I bought was $100 from that salvage yard.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what guarentee do most places give? If I buy another one and it still does not work...then what?

That first place I sent you does 90 days on everything, so that's why I deal with them on anything I can.

The cluster is the problem, no doubt, there's nothing left.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your help....If i need more help in the future can i specify talking or dealing with you?

Yes, you can request me each time. My username is thebesthonda.

It was my pleasure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can i print our discussion?
Yes, just use your browser and click "print page"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks again..hope it works
My pleasure to assist you.
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 26 years experience