George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification
13574682

My horn and cruise control do not work..fuses

Customer Question

My horn and cruise control do not work. I have checked the fuses. They are working. I spoke to my brother, who is over 3000 miles away (New York). He said that it could be the relay control. Now, I have no idea where to search for this, or what it looks like. My car is an Acura Legend 1993, V6, automatic, sedan. Can you help me?

Thank you.

Anthony G. Small
Category: Acura
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The horn switch and the cruise run through a spiral connector at the base of the steering wheel called a clockspring connector. When the connector fails the signal form the switches can't get to the relay and computers that need input to give the desired output.

Replacing the connector is the solution and to do this the steering wheel will have to be removed

The removal is shown here

The part is called a slip ring in the procedure, a cable reel in the wiring diagrams and a clockspring by the trade

let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, what's a relay control?
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

There is a relay mounted under the hood that the horn switch grounds and the contacts in the relay close connecting power to the horn at the front of the vehicle. I would have you troubleshoot the horn circuit by checking the relay operation but you say the cruise control does not work either and those switches run through the clockspring as well.

Is your airbag light on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) light stays on.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Yes it would as the primary reason for the clockspring is to keep a constant connection from the airbag to the wiring harness as the steering wheel is turned

Tahnks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What are the names of the parts that I would need. Can I get these parts from an Aftermarket Store? I do not want to go to the dealer. Dealers are too expensive and I'm on a tight budget. Please help me.

Sincerely,

Anthony G. Small

Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

The part you need is the clockspring/cable reel/slip ring assembly. The airbag will have to be removed so it will have to be handled with care as it can kill you.

I don't see any source for the clockspring, at 18 years old the dealer may not have one for you either but you might try car-part.com for used ones in your area. You can always try a used one but if the car is wrecked it is likely broken as well.

Sorry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anyway to get only the horn working? You are talking about a lot of money. I just need the horn.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

The horn can be wired to an aftermarket horn button mounted on the side of the steering column or the dash board. I don't know if you have a safety inspection where you live but this method will not pass inspection.

If that is not an issue the a horn button is available at any autoparts store for about $5. Ground one side of the switch to a good body ground and find the horn switch wire at the base of the column in the harness and attach it to the other side of the switch. When you push the button it will connect the horn wire to ground and the horn will blow.

The horn wire is blue/red and is in cavity 4 of connector at the base of the column. You can back probe the connector with a pin or needle and use a jumper wire to touch ground to be sure you have the correct wire.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

Click here