MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech

HI I have an Acura MDX 2005. The Hands Free Link wont connect

HI I have an Acura MDX 2005. The Hands Free Link won't connect to my Blackberry. It was successfully working in the past. I don't think it's my phone since it can pair with other blue tooth devices. The dealership thinks it's the HFL unit. They want to charge Prox 1,000.00 to replace the unit. They are going to first diagnose the unit to see if it's the problem. So my question is.. do you know of a gliche in the HFL that they haven't heard about or if it needs to be replaced can it be cheaper ?

Thanks !!
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 6 years ago.

hello welcome to the site

the 05 mdx's did not have very much HFL issues.

the first thing i would be looking at is the phone. about 99% of the time the phone is the issue.

how old is the phone ?

did you make sure to put the phone to discover ?

im the phone guru at my dealership so i work with all of the phones .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't think it's my phone. Since it worked before and my husband could detect my phone while his was in discovery mode. I use a Black Berry storm .. the guy at the dealership had a basic 3 year old phone that would't pair either.

It is being diagnosed now. If it is the HFL is there a way to get the unit plus installation for less than 1,000.00 ?

well the list price on a new on is around 698.00 plus about .5 labor to install.

this is something you can install your self if your handy with a screwdriver and a socket wrench.

the HFL is located in the come light console where the map lights are.

so 1000.00 does seem high.

you can also buy this online from

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can u suggest anything else ? You think it's the phone don't you ? If the dealership diagnosis it and says it's the HFL then I should believe them right and not do anything else to try to fix it ?
Did your husbands phone pair up to your mdx
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it didn't pair up !
Ok your HFL just failed.
This would rule out your phone since your other phone would not pair up with the system