acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech ,CA smog, ASE L1

2006 Acura: removing..Car will not start, clicking works

Customer Question

Hi. 2006 Acura TL. Green key trouble light blinks after removing key. Car will not start, clicking heard near starter solenoid. Battery seems strong, windows go up at full speed and radio works. Immobilizer reset? I am using the same keys since purchase in 2006.

Can you help or do I need to have towed to dealer?

Thanks, Steve
Category: Acura
Expert:  acramstr replied 6 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam, welcome to Just Answer. I'm acuramstr. It could be that the starter is bad or the battery cable is corroded . The immobilizer does not stop the starter operation on this model. We have seen some bad battery's ,starters and/or positive battery cables on these. When you tried to jump start the car did you have a good connection on all the clamps? the radio and windows will still work with a fairly low battery . So you might want to start by having the battery checked and cleaning the cables.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The manual says that the immobilizer does prevent the engine from starting (pg 64 & 91).

The batter cable was loose but I tightened it.

Which is higher probability on that model; batter bad or starter bad?

Expert:  acramstr replied 6 years ago.
yes it prevents it from starting by shutting off the fuel and spark. The starter will still work unless you have an add-on alarm with a starter interrupt . On this model the most common no start problem is a bad battery .We see about 5 a week in my shop.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try new battery.
Expert:  acramstr replied 6 years ago.
well have it checked first. Most auto parts stores will test it for free .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi... Your advice to test battery was good, unfortunately I did not see and bought one. No luck. Solenoid on Starter continues to click and starter does not turn over. Plan to get it towed this morning. Thanks, Steve
Expert:  acramstr replied 6 years ago.
sorry you didn't get the news .The starter must be bad .Try banging on the starter while someone tries starting the car that will sometimes get the starter to work one more time and save you the tow.