MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech
10834442

2007 MDX: my driver side HID low beam..bulb..engine compartment

I have a 2007 MDX and my driver side HID low beam is not working. I changed the bulb and it still doesn't work. I thought it might be a fuse but I physical check the fuse in the engine compartment and underneath the dash. It seems the fuse is good. In one of your thread you mentioned it can be a transformer but does that handles both headlights on only one. If it is only one then please let me know where they are located in the MDX. Do you have any reccomendation on what to check? I don't have a valid warranty it expired last month.

hello welcome to the site

we have been seen a few hid control units failing.

their is not any real test for these other then swapping the left and right control unit.

if you check power to the 2 pin connector and you have power then its a bad control unit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where and how do I change the control unit? What does it look like? I didn't check the 2 pin connector. I assume one of the lead of the multimeter go to the center of the connector but where do I put the other lead to.

the front bumper will need to be removed and the head light unit will need.

you can use a ohm meter to see if the unit is failed or a wiring problem.

you might be able to see and unplug the connector with out removing the bumper.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I noticed there is condesation in the headlight assembly and it might short out the unit. But I didnt check it yet. Do I have to take the bumper off to replace the control unit? Is there something I need to be concern with when replacing the control unit? I noticed that this is a high voltage I am dealing with and so far I didn't get zapped yet when I change out the light bulb.

if their is moisture in the head light you will need to replace the head light assy and the hid control unit.

these control units short out very easy to moisture.

the bumper will need to be removed to replace the control unit and the head light assy.as long as the connector is unplugged your ok.

the control unit screws on the under side of the head light bucket.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the going rate to do this job?
you can expect hour of labor plus the parts.
depending on the shop labor rate this will vary around 50 dollars.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer and quick response. I will have to tackle this on a weekend when I have an assistance since I have to remove the bumper. It doesn't seem difficult to do on paper but I will have to get it done. Unfortunately you're not in my neck of the woods I would have you do it for me. Where can I get the online tech manuals that you sent me pages of?
www.helminc.com
you can purchase the paper or the on line manual
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the igniter and the control unit all in one component? Or are they two separate components that are located in different area of the engine compartment?
It's All 1 unit.