thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

My 2000 Acura 3.2 t.l. will not start after riding car for

Customer Question

My 2000 Acura 3.2 t.l. will not start after riding car for 1/2 to 1 hour then shutting it off. after sitting for 15-to 30 min. when you try to start it misses, and won't fire on any or all cylinders. sometimes I can get it to start, but it idles rough for a while then will run normally. If I leave the car for a couple of hours , it starts, and runs fine. Gas tank is clean. Never have any problems when car is cold. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Thank you for your response. Victor Kane
Category: Acura
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 4 years ago.
Hello Mr. Kane. How did you check the fuel pump? How many miles are on your car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Car has 72000 miles. Did not check fuel pump

Ok, this would be the first thing I would check. It sounds like it may be getting hot and breaking down.

Is the check engine light coming on while driving?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When car won't start, engine light, and t.c.s. light comes on. sometimes engine light and tcs light goes off. at times only engine light stays on. then it will go off later. When car won't start, sometimes I can get it running by tickling the gas pedal , then it runs missing, and after a while starts to run smooth. Not sure if the fuel pump was checked for pressure?

Ok, the check engine light staying on while trying to start is a good clue. Does it ever come on while driving also?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Only when car won't start. and then it will stay on for an indeterminant time . eventually go off. the same with the tcs light.
Ok. With the check engine light staying on while trying to start, leads me to believe the main relay is going bad. This normally will not cause the car to die while driving...although it could. Has this part ever been replaced?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No not replaced. Car never dies while driving. only after it is hot it won't start after it cools down it is o.k. I was wondering about the spark coils?
Ok, ok. I misunderstood your question...my mistake. Replace your main relay. This will most likely resolve the whole issue. I have replaced tons of these.
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 26 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the main relay. Still have the same problem. After driving for 1/2 to 1 hour, then shutting the car off. When I return to start the car 15 or 20 min. later it won't start! it misses, backfires. engine shakes like hell, then will run on maybe 3 cylinders and eventually start running smoother. Engine light on. Viictor Kane XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Ok, with the engine light on, we should have a code stored in the vehicles computer system. Run it to an Advance or Autozone and have it scanned (they do it for free) and send me the codes. Also, what state do you live?

Edited by thebesthonda on 3/11/2010 at 7:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Didn't do it with the engine light on, but after an episode when the light had gone off. The codes were ----PL301 PL 302 PL303 PL304 Pl305 PL306

I am in Fl. The temp here is mid 70's today..but it also acted up when we had a real cold spell., Baybe more on hotter days? Vic

Ok, Thanks. Acura had a bulletin on these for cold weather issues, so I think we can rule that out.

These are all misfire code and these unfortunately are hard to resolve because there are so many different things that can cause misfire codes, but we will figure it out.

Have you ever had the e.g.r. passages cleaned?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that has been checked.
Did they clean the passeages and replace the e.g.r. valve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Valve was not repl. Passages clear.

Ok, CLICK HERE to see this service bulletin. The upper intake gasket may be on upside down....I hate to admit it, but I did this once myself. Frown See the upper right of page 2.

The egr valve itself could also be defective. This can be checked with a scanner to be sure. CLICK HERE. See the upper left of page 2.

I have also had a few fuel pressure regulators cause misfire codes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car runs fine at all speeds. Starts up fine when cold. Problem is only on a HOT restart. Had the car as new. Never had engine service, that the gasket could be upside down, other than plug repl. Is there a history of spark coils failure when hot? opening, or grounding?

If the egr passages were cleaned as we mentioned above, the top plate on the engine along with this gasket had to be removed. On the reinstall, the mechanic may have put it on upside down. I did it once myself and have seen it 3 times since then.

Yes, I have seen a few coils fail, but with your codes listed...it is for all 6 cylinders...I seriously doubt that all 6 are going bad at the same time. One way to know for sure is to replace 1 coil on 1 cylinder....if that cylinder misfire code goes away, then you would know you were on the right track.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could one bad coil screw up the"timing" so that all the others misfire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This was the problem before any engine work was done. Will try a coil

Keep in mind the egr passages could have been clogged...the mechanic cleaned them solving the problem.....installed the gasket upside down......same symptoms. It's happened before and of course I am not there to see the car, but I would use the diagram I sent to look at the location tabs pictured to be certain....wouldn't take a couple minutes to confirm.

No, one coil would not cause all those codes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will double check the tabs. Would EGR valve cause the problem, only when the engine is hot, shut off, and restarted 10 -20 min later?
Yes. It sure could, but this can be checked with a scanner to be certain.
Why did you leave negative feedback? Other customers judge me based on this. I was more than willing to keep working with you on this as long as you needed me at no extra charge. That was ridiculous.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Only left neg, because repair was not complete. I am satisfied with the help you have given me. So far I replaced main relay, Replaced one coil that made no difference in the idle when disconnected. Checked out fuel pump, Gas tank, egr valve, Twice poured in the tank jet cleaner, Replaced a burned out starter, from trying to start car. Within the next day or so, will get the ports cleaned out.But am not confident that that is the problem, as this problem only occurs when car is hot, and there is a temp rise when it is shut off.! then it won't fire on eneough cylinders (or any) to run. eventually with starting, and playing with the gas, can I get it to run. Checked gasket for proper placement.

Thanks for your patience.

If you were satisfied with the help I have given you, then you should have either left positive, neutral or even waited until the repair was complete...then posted feedback. After your repair is complete...you can not change the feedback...it stays with me forever...other customers will see it and will never see this last message you sent me.....and will only think you were not satisfied with my services. My reputation is more important than the money you paid. I find it a shame that you would tarnish it so easily.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It had nothing to do with the money. If it can be rectified I would gladly do so, It was only that the repair is not complete. are you willing to continue to help me?
I can only provide the necessary information, completing the repair is up to you.

No, it can not be rectified. I am stuck with your negative feedback forever, but yes, I will still continue helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will clean out the ports in the next few days. and get back to you. Only other info that I can add is that I recently had the car painted. I think the problems may have started after that?
That's odd. You said there was a temp rise when the engine was off. Have you been losing any antifreeze?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not that I know of. Will check the coolant. Temp gauge always stayed in the middle. I said temp rise, because it was o.k. while running. only acted up after car stood for a short time. If car stood for 1 hr. and cooled down it was o.k. Going down now to check coolent.

Problem is that in Fl. we don't especially concern ourselves with antifreeze. The coolent was low. Added fluid. Tomorrow will see. The temp gauge always stayed at normal temp. BUT By G-D I think you got it.!!!

If there is any way to correct the negative comment, let me know. Write a letter of explanation? or a phone call? Vic

Sounds good. Keep me posted. I will be online tomorrow. Honestly, I do not know. You may could email customer service and ask for it to be retracted. It seems it was just a misunderstanding anyway. Either way I will stick with you until we get this fixed, but eliminating the negative feedback would be a big help to my reputation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Temp gauge running a little colder. Always had oil changes done by Goodyear, Firestone, Acura, Pep Boys, and other independent service agencys. When I lived up North with oil change came , Tire pressure, Fluid checks, Wiper, Trans, power steering, Battery,if necessary.Filters checked, and of course coolant. Never expected it to have been neglected. Will run car tomorrow, and get back to you. Vic
Do you know if the car was ever overheated in the past?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Temp always ran in middle of gauge. So far car running o.k., But don't know how a little higher temp would cause it not to be able to start. (misfiring) Unless maybe it is dieseling, and screwing up the timeing? When it acts up it sounds like it is fireing on 2 or 3 cylinders only till it starts to run normally. thats when engine light comes on, and stays on. Got to try it for a few more days. The weather is cold now. Vic

The reason I was asking if there was coolant loss is in rare cases I see head gaskets seep internally. Usually this happens when the car is hot...turned off...then the constant pressure in the cooling system pushes some antifreeze into the cylinders. Then when restarted, of course the coolant in the cylinders will cause the car to be harder to start, then misfire until it gets cleared out.

If no coolant is being added...this is not the problem, but it crossed my mind when you stated the "temp would rise with the engine shut off"

Normally leaving the car for a couple hours would not have any affect on this, but I don't like to rule anything out unless we know for sure.

Keep me posted on this. We will get it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I added about a third of a gal. till radiator, and reserve overflow was full. Will monitor the coolant to see if there is any loss. your answer sounds reasonable for my problem.
Ok. Yell when you need me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your early suggestion of the E.G.R. valve was right on the button!! altho it checked out normal on the scanner. Before pulling the head to check the gasket, decided to disconnect the e.g.r. and run the car without it. Did that for over 2 weeks, and had no problems at all!!! Can't believe after all the hassle I went through with this problem that it is finally fixed, with a valve replacement. Obviusly what was happening was the valve was jamming up under high temps.

I would like to thank you for your patience and expertise. and once again say that the neg mark I gave was only because the repair was not yet complete, and in no way should reflect on your performance. If I could re-rate you as a tech. it would be it A-1 "Top of the line" Thank again Victor

Thank you. At this point I was 100% correct with my answer, but still have the negative feedback that you have posted. Do me the favor of contacting justanswer customer support and ask them if you can change your feedback. It would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where do I contact them?? An e-mail address please.

I believe this will work. Click the link below and select "other comments/feedback" from the drop down menu and fill in the other fields. In the comments box, ask them if you can change the feedabck you left for "thebesthonda"

Usually, a moderator gets in back in touch with you within 24 hours.

I really appreciate that.

Click this link.

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx