Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

On a 2003 Aura MDX, the rear heater is not working. The RR

Customer Question

On a 2003 Aura MDX, the rear heater is not working. The RR A/C button is on and I can hear the rear damper and also a sound when changing the temp setting but no results when changing the fan control in the rear seat. Fuse checked ok. Is there a separate fan for the rear? How does one get at it ?
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Yes there is a separate blower motor for the rear heat/ac. It is under the center console. You will want to check for power at the connector to it, however, there has been a service bulletin on some, for the power transistor, which may be the only problem with it.

A/C - Rear Blower Motor Inoperative
Notes

03-021

August 18, 2003

Applies To:
2001-02 MDX - ALL
2003 MDX - From VIN 2HNYD1...3H000001 thru 2HNYD1...3H539316

Rear Blower Does Not Work

SYMPTOM

The rear center vents do not blow air at any climate control setting.

PROBABLE CAUSE

The power transistor for the rear blower has an open circuit.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the rear power transistor.

PARTS INFORMATION

Transistor Assembly: P/N 79330-S3V-A51

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty: The normal warranty applies.

Operation Number:613103

Flat Rate Time:0.6 hour

Failed Part:P/N 79330-S2K-941

Defect Code:032

Contention Code:B01

Template ID:03-021A

Skill Level:Repair Technician

Out of warranty:
Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

DIAGNOSIS

1.Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), and remove the key.

2.Move the driver's seat all the way back.

graphic

3.Remove the driver's console side trim by pulling out at the front, popping out the clips, and releasing the two tabs.

graphic

4.While wearing protective gloves, reach through the opening in the center console frame, and disconnect the wire harness from the rear power transistor.

graphic

5.Locate the lock tab release at the bottom of the transistor. Push the lock tab down and toward the rear, then turn the power transistor clockwise past the lock tab.

graphic

6.Pull out the rear power transistor.

graphic

7.Check the resistance between pins 3 and 4.

Is the resistance more than 1M Ohms (1,000,000 ohms)?

YES - Replace the power transistor (go to REPAIR PROCEDURE).

NO - This service bulletin does not apply to the problem. Test the rear blower motor system for other possible causes (see page 21-76 in the 2001-02 MDX Service Manual, or page 21-79 in the 2003 MDX Service Manual).

REPAIR PROCEDURE

graphic

1.Install a new power transistor into position, and turn it counterclockwise past the lock tab. Make sure the transistor locks firmly into place.

2.Reconnect the wire harness.

3.Clean the blower intake screen by vacuuming it.

4.Reinstall the driver's side console trim. Insert the front tab first, then reconnect the clips by lightly tapping the trim into place.

5.Insert the key, and turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

6.On the front climate control panel, press the A/C button (or touch the icon), and then press the RR A/C MANUAL button.

7.On the rear A/C passenger control panel, turn the fan speed control dial clockwise.

5.Check that the rear blower is operating and air is blowing out of the rear center vents.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info; however, it did not work.
The resistance between 3 and 4 on the power transistor is about 2 K ohms.
I checked for power and there is 12 Vdc at the connector.
I am guessing that the motor is the next most likely problem. It looks like this is alot of work to remove and may be better handled by a dealer... your thoughts?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

That must be the motor. The only thing is the console has to come out for that. I could give you the steps for that if you like. In case you feel you can handle it.

Rear Blower Motor Replacement

1. Remove the center console.

graphic

1. Disconnect the 2P connector (A) from the rear blower motor (B), then remove the self-tapping screw and the cover (C). Turn the rear blower motor clockwise to the stop, and remove it.
  2. Install the motor in the reverse order of removal.