HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  OVER 20 YRS EXPERIENCE, OVER 10 YRS ACURA/HONDA EXPERIENCE
8532170

1997 acura cl 3.0. 172,000 miles. My ABS light has come on.

Customer Question

1997 acura cl 3.0. 172,000 miles. My ABS light has come on. I hear a humming sound like the ABS is engaged and have difficulty braking. After a minute or so, brakes are fine but the light remains on. What could be causing this and approximate cost to repair?
Category: Acura
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome to justanswer.com,

First it would be great to know what code was stored in the abs system to have a better idea as to the diagnosis. I can send you a link on how to check the code if you would like.

Educated guesses would be anything from an external leak at the abs module or a faulty abs module/control unit assembly

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't had my car checked out, since everyone charges you 1 hour labor just to bring the car in. Is there a way I can check for the code without any sort of special equipment? Assuming it's a faulty abs module/control unit assembly, what would be the cost of such a repair? I'm debating whether getting this fixed or just getting rid of the car altogether. It's probably worth $2500 max, and I'm tired of dumping any more money on this car, since repairs are always so expensive.
If it does need an abs contol module/pump unit, it will run about $700 for the parts so that's on the expensive side . If you still want to check the code I can give you the instructions for retrieving the code
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. That would be great. Also, is the car safe to drive with the ABS light on? My regular brakes work fine.

here's the link you will need. let me know what code you have.

click here