Rubasu
Rubasu, Acura Technician
Experience:  3 Years as acura dealer tech w/ previous experience w/ volvo
17355537

Acura TL: sitting..replaced twice..Dealer acts like they never heard

Customer Question

06 acura TL battery will be dead after sitting 1 or 2 days. Battery has been replaced twice in 1 month. Dealer acts like they never heard of this problem. Car has nav and bluetooth. Need help--Thanks
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 4 years ago.
hello welcome to the site.
we have lots of battery failures on the acura batteries. this is actually very common and at my dealer we replace around 5 plus a day on the tl's
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I stated the battery has been replaced twice in 1 month--problem STILL exists. It is not a battery issue.

Expert:  Rubasu replied 4 years ago.
is your tl a navi or non navi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The vehicle is equipped with navigation and bluetooth options.
Expert:  Rubasu replied 4 years ago.
there were instances on the 04 - 05 TLs where the handsfree units were not completely shutting off after the car is shut off and this draing the battery pretty quickly. You will need to have you local dealer do a draw test to see what circuit is staying awake after the car is shut off. a reputable private mechanic could also perform this test at a much more reasonable rate then the dealer would charge. this test basically hooks a meter n line with the negative terminal on the battery and you begin to pull fuses from the fuse box until the readout on the meter drops and then you know this circuit is where the issue is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The dealership claims they have already done a system drain test and nothing came up.

They did say a fault existed in the bluetooth, but were not confident this would drain the battery. If you have seen this before and it was the bluetooth unit, can it be disconnected

without disrupting other functions? If so where is the control unit?

I know this problem isn't the great mystery the dealer is acting it is.

Thanks for the response.

Expert:  Rubasu replied 4 years ago.
the control unit for the bluetooth is in the overhead light. the you can try pulling the fuse for the control unit but you would lose the radio and a bunch of other things at least to test if this circuit is what is draining the battery...they are fuses 6 and 32 under the dash. If the there is an issue with the control unit it is very possible that it is not shutting down and is drainging the battery. it is however very expensive and if not needed can be removed with out effecting anything else..
Rubasu, Acura Technician
Experience: 3 Years as acura dealer tech w/ previous experience w/ volvo