thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

CL: Acura..check engine light..Car drives fine in low speeds..vibrates

Customer Question

Acura 3.2 CL - check engine light is flashing and TCS light is staying on. Car drives fine in low speeds, vibrates a little at higher speeds. I have already had the transmission replaced back when they had the recall. Any ideas? Spark plugs maybe?
Category: Acura
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 4 years ago.

When your check engine light comes on a code is stored in the vehicles computer system. This code is vital in troubleshooting the vehicle accurately. To access this code requires a scanner that most any auto repair shop or auto parts store such as Advance or Autozone will have. Most establishments will scan the code for free. My recommendation is to have the vehicle scanned and send the code to me. Normally the TCS may act up due to the check engine light coming on, so let's troubleshoot it first. Normally fixing one...will fix the other.

Send me the code and I will take it from there and will be able to better assist you.

Let me know when you get it, take your time.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PO300, PO301, P0302, PO303, P0304, P0305 - are the codes. I changed the spark plugs and still no change. Now the muffler/exhaust is really loud. Could it be a coil?

71.............P0300,P0301........................ ..........Random/Cylinder 1 misfire
72.............P0302.............................. ...............Cylinder 2 misfire
73.............P0303.............................. ...............Cylinder 3 misfire
74.............P0304.............................. ...............Cylinder 4 misfire
75.............P0305.............................. ...............Cylinder 5 misfire
76.............P0306.............................. ...............Cylinder 6 misfire

I doubt it. Each cylinder has its own individual coil. For this to be the reason, they would all have to be bad....highly unlikely.

Was there recent work prior to this problem, or did it just happen out of the blue? Does the engine start to run bad over 40 mph?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just happened out of the blue. The (what I thought was the battery kept dying) - needed a jump three times. Then it would want the radio code as if the battery died and clock would need to be reset but car started. Car runs bad at low and high speeds, definatly worse over 40MPH. As of this morning the muffler or exhaust sounds really loud; but when I listede outside of the car it sounds like the engine.

Ok, thanks. There is actually a service bulletin for this. Click here (on the right of page 2)

Also check your battery cable connections to be sure they are clean and tight. Have you had the charging system checked?

How many miles do you have on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
177,000 miles, my Dad checked the charging system said it was ok. So do you know what the codes could mean? Changing the spark plugs did nothing. Do you know how to reset the ECM after changing spark plugs or coils? Is this necessary?

Ok, that's good. Did you click the blue link above? If not, click it, scroll to page 2, top-right where it says "MISFIRE DTC'S" It explains a possible cause for this. My guess is the egr passages are clogged. I see this all the time. The only way to know for sure is take it apart, but with 177k....it's sure to be dirty.

Resetting the ecm is only necessary to clear the codes, but if the car is still running bad, it will come back on. To reset this ecu requires a scan tool. I wouldn't reset it until you check and clean the egr passages.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is cleaning the EGR passages something I can do? Also is this something that can be done with a fuel injector cleaner or something?

It's not too hard to do. Just go by the illustration in the article. You will need an air blower, spray carb. cleaner and a piece of stiff wire to dig the carbon out of the ports. Also, remember to remove the egr valve and cleaned the holes under it. The holes under it lead to the intake manifold...be sure an air blower can blow through them freely.

No, it has to be taken apart to be cleaned.

If my answer has helped you please click the green "Accept" tab and your deposit will be transferred from your justanswer account to mine. I work very hard to provide quality answers that will in turn, save the customer money for repairs. Clicking the green "Accept" is how I get paid for my work. Sadly, most experts do not get paid for their answers simply because most users feel the deposit is automatically sent to the expert. This is not true. Your deposit stays in your justanswer account until a green accept tab is clicked. Also keep in mind that no matter how many answers you may receive in a conversation, you are only paying for the one you "ACCEPT." You are not charged for the others, nor should feel obligated to pay for them.

If there is any more information you need, or feel that I did not answer your question thoroughly, please let me know and I will be most happy to further assist you.

Also please remember to leave feedback as my reputation is very important to me. Bonuses are appreciated, but not expected. Please keep in mind that if the word "offline" is near my image, I am not at my computer and can not immediately answer your request.

Thank you for using justanswer and for allowing me to assist you.

Chuck

thebesthonda