ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Acuras. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

I drive my car with a bad power steering pump..remanufactured

How long can I drive my car with a bad power steering pump? I can buy a remanufactured pump for considerably less money in 4 weeks. Can I wait this long?
Category: Acura
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.
The problem with not using the power steering pump, when it needs it.. is it can damage the steering rack. The pump sprays fluid on the gears to help it be easier for you to turn them. Without this extra help.. well the steering rack will just not last very long. So.. the longer you let it go.. the more of a chance yu are taking on damaging the rack.

The price on an OEM pump is $355.. and yes, they can be rebuilt and everything so getting one of those would be cheaper. Here is a link to a site where you can get a rebuilt one for $140, and they have it in stock.

Hope it helps!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I drive about 20 miles each day. Can I wait 30 days?
I can't tell you that.. Depending on what made the old pump go out... it could already need the steering rack. I guess it will just have to wait until you can fix it anyways, right?

You will know if it is too late or not as soon as you change it, though.. The good thing is a bad pump will tear up the steering gear, but a bad steering gear will not usually mess up the pump. You will know if it is too late, because it will whine and grind like a bad pump, and may even leak out the boots on the rack if it is bad. I have driven cars for 6 months with no power steering in the past, and when putting the pump back on them, everything work fine... Your mileage may vary, though... Not something to be overly concerned with, but you do need to be aware of that.