MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician
Experience:  27 years of Honda training and a master Acura tech
10834442

can bad gas give your car engine damage

can bad gas give your car engine damage

hello welcome to the site.

can you please explain more details please

what year and model

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a 2006 Acura TL with 44000 miles. On Friday the car stalled and would not restart. I had it towed to Acura dealership. They told me there was bad gas. Water in the tank. They said they wouldn't know until today if there is engine damage. I am really nervous about that.

no you will be fine.

last year we have a pretty bad rain and lots of the tanks got water in them and we had to drain the fuel tanks and refill with clean gas.

i have emptied a 08 tl with a full tank of diesel fuel and the customer drove the car for about 5 mins and noticed the problem.

the water in the gas will cause it to ping since the gas is broken down.

now if the water got into the intake system then yes that can cause damage but you would have to drive through a foot or more of standing water like a flooded road or large puddle but you would know this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
On average, how much labor should be involved in this process?

we charged 1 hour labor to drain the tank.

they can disconnect the fuel line at the tank and use the hds to command the fuel pump and empty into a waste fuel can.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Awe man Acura told me I'm already at 2 hrs and counting

wow for bad gas ?

i can see 1 hour for check out including a data list check out.

maybe they should have a seasoned acura tech look at this.

the data list on their scan tool should have shown signs of the sensors and lean miss fires

was the check engine light on ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No check engine light was not on. They told me water was mixed with gas in the tank and that was the prob. So far I owe 213 in labor and they were going to continue to work on it today. It is at an Acura Dealership so I dont know whats going on.

ok so they know their is fuel in the tank and have they started the engine ?

did they say the car has fuel pressure ?

are they sure its water and not some other item like sugar ?

now that will cause a no start or the car will run so poor and not even be drivable

im a bit confused i think they are not sure what the actual problem is at this time.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well the said they siphened the gas out and that is was water. I dont know if they were able to start the engine or about the fuel pressure.

hmm ok their info to you is very vague and im sure once they get some fresh fuel into the tank and run the car for a few miles every thing will be fine.

after 23 plus years in this field i have yet to see water cause any damage to the engine from water in the tank.

siphoning the tank should only take them about 20 mins to drain a full tank using the hds. sounds like they are unsure of the process or just wasting time and your money.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok i just spoke with them and they said it was water. The car started. They put a gallon of acohol in and drained it. They put new gas in and the cost is 293. Do you think the car will be safe to drive now.
Yes you will be fine make sure you refill with 92 octain gas
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK will do... Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate it.

Your very welcome
please take a moment and leave me some feed back after the accept
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK
Have a nice day
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. You too!
ok