MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience.

1996 acura tl: 5 cyl car doesnt start..electronics come..unlocking

Customer Question

Every once in a while my 1996 acura tl 5 cyl car doesn't start. All the electronics come on but the engine won't start. Sometimes getting out of the car, relocking it, waiting, then unlocking again and starting works. Sometimes I have to go as far as pressing the panic button (I think this may reset the alarm?) and then the car will typically start. What is likely causing this and what is the best fix? sometimes if i leave the door open it will start. sometimes if i mess around with the steering wheel it will start. all the door alarms and lights work, new battery, i even reset the radio with code??? please help me???? sue
Category: Acura
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago.
Hello sue welcome to the site
please try this open the hood and try to start the car like normal
please advise
Dino
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok dino thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try right now, be right back!!!!! No it did not start
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

any more advice? it did not start, battery is new and fully charged!

sue

ok does the starter click when trying to start ?

is their any clicking or noises while trying this ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, it clicks.

ok thats good then.

we can try a very simple test if you have a multi meter ?

also we can try and manually jump the starter solenoid to see if this is just a starter problem only.

please advise.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, sorry dino don't have a multi-meter?? how do i manually jump the starter solenoid??

ok you will need a wire with a female terminal. it will look like a speaker wire end then you can hook up the end to the solenoid wire and then touch it to the battery and see if will click or start you may want to try this a few times and a starter may not work intermently please click here for picture of wire on the shock tower.the connector c113 gray. use the end that goes down to the starter. let me know your results

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi dino,

this picture doesn't look my engine. but i will try this method when i have help tomorrow. i will ask for you again tomorrow evening. i appreciate your help. i thought it could be the alarm relay switch myself? because i did not have starter symptoms before i kept reset the alarm switch to start the darn car??

sue

Hmm odd but you could be right I will look for a alarm control unit test. The 2.5 tl still should have the solenoid wire at the drivers shock tower. This is a 2.5 correct ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dino,

Yes it is a 2.5 TL. That would be great. I have checked the fuses at least prong type, I don't know how to check the plug in type. I think I may have screwed up the reset switch pressing it so much? Where would the alarm relay switch be???? Thanks so much again for your patience and help. I can't afford to take it to the dealer and other mechanics don't want to mess with it..... or don't know how to fix these factory installed anti-theft alarms. I figured out the code on the radio by calling the original dealer of the car in Pasadena, Ca. I am in Washington State??? The Acura dealer here told me he would have to PULL the radio to get it to work after the battery was replaced. I am a damsel in distress......oh well!

Sue

well this could be bypassed and then you don't have to worry about it any more.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i'm sorry, i don't understand. how do i bypass it??

sue

the system can be by passed <br />you will have to unplug the alarm control unit and jump 2 wires .
let me double check for sure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much Dino! Take your time!

Sue

ok Sue it can be by passed for sure.
but i want to rule out the starter first so we don't do any unwanted stuff to the car.
that's why i posted the picture for the c113 connector that's a remote starter connector since the starter is not the best to get to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok Dino please tell me how? i don't even know where the alarm control unit is?? sorry, you got such a difficult one here.....

Sue

ok the alarm control unit is located behind the glove box and you will see a abs unit and behind that you will see the alarm control unit. their will be 2 gray connectors unplug them both. their will be a 13 pin connector and you will see a solid gray wire and a yellow wire with a green tracer. you will need to use a paper clip or a wire to connect the 2 together. and the alarm will no longer be active.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dino,

Thank you. I'm satisfied for now!! I will try this first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will take care of this problem. I will accept this info, when are you usually available online for help ! Just Answer. You have been very helpful and informative!

Thanks again,

Sue

I will get a email when you reply to this post. And I will respond back. I do work days at the delaer so if I don't respond back right away be paitent I will resond back to you. But please before for by pass the alarm make sure this is not. Starter problem cause if it is their is a easier way to bypass the system
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please email to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. i check more often than my paypal email. thank you. i will leave feedback for you, as you have been very patient and helpful. do i accept now? not sure, how to do this. thanks again dino for your help. i will have someone help me check the starter too!
Were not able to exchange emails on here. Yours will be xd out.
You can leave feed back after you hit the accept button then it gives you the options
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dino, Ok, i will certainly try to do what you have suggested before i take it anywhere to be fixed. I will see you if you are available tomorrow at around the same time. I will try to send email again and hit accept. If not, I will let you know tomorrow. Thanks again so much for ALL your time.

Sue

XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Ok it's best to reply to this post as it goes to my phone.