George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years w/L1 Drivability certification
13574682

96 TL: radiator fan is not coming..does not overheat while driving

I have a 96 TL 2.5 and the radiator fan is not coming on at idle and over heating is a problem. But does not overheat while driving.
Category: Acura
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

There are several components that contribute to the operation of the cooling fan, You have a coolant tempreature switch, the fan control module and the fan itself. Some testing will be necessary to determine which of these components is at fault..

Does the fan come on when the air conditioning is turned on?

Is the radiator full of coolant?

Do you have a testlight or voltmeter to run some tests with?

Let me know and we will work from there

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes i do have the nessisary equiptment to make testing easier. No it does not come on with the A/C. The radiator and reserve are both full of coolant. The fan bearings are not seased. And none of the fuses are blown and looks in working order.
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Great you covered a lot of ground already,

If all 7 fuses are good lets start by making sure the fans will work on the diagram below find the fan relays and you are going to jump the terminals with a piece of wire.

graphic

The fan relays are located here

graphic

graphic

One at a time jump from the white to the white/green and the white/blue respectivly

If the fans come on jumping the relay we will move to the coolant temp sensors.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
lets move to the coolant temp sensors. I jumped the wires and the fan came on
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Great pull the connector off the B sensor and short the terminals together with a paperclip while the key is on. If the fan does not turn on after one minute check the light green/yellow wire at the radiator fan relay to see if it is grounded. If the relay is grounded check the yellow wire for power. If you have power replace the relay if you do not have power replace the radiator fan control module

graphic

graphic

For good measure you can short switch A to be sure the input to the fan control module is commanded on

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay the radiator fan control module where is this located just in case? And with shorting at the b connecter what if the fan comes on within the one min window?
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

graphic

graphic

If the fan does come on with the sensors shorted the sensor needs to be replaced. Acura has a procedure to test the sensor involving boiling water and a thermometer but

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I jumped the b switch and the fan did not come on in a min. I do not have the test light here once i make it back to the shop i will test the relay power. Can there be anything else? Once i leave the house i will lose you great help.
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.
No the whole idea is to give the module the correct input then see if it performs as expected. If it does not you replace the module. Checking the relay for ground with the sensors jumped will check the output. If all the power and ground supply is correct you have to go with the module