JHoop
JHoop, Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

I have a 1999 Acura TL. I replaced a battery in my remote that

I have a 1999 Acura TL. I replaced a battery in my remote that is used to lock/unlock the doors, release the trunk and allows the panic button to be depressed. The remote has never really worked consistently since I bought the car used recently. So I thought replacing the battery would fix the problem. However, now I can't open the door or start the car without the alarm system going off. Can you help?
Category: Acura
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

You are going to have to reprogram your Transmitter since you have replaced the Battery. Follow the procedure below to do this...

graphic
Let me know if you have any questions... If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Don't forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
JHoop. Can I try your solution before I accept?
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
Absolutly! I'll be around here somewhere...Let me know what happens....Thanks, JHoop.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Let me be clear in saying that when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II, the car alarm sounds. Is this normal? Also, exactly where is the multiplex control unit? Finally, is it possible that the transmitter is not working properly and a better solution might be to get a new one? I offer this because the transmitter has never worked consistently. Sometimes it would unlock the doors, other times not. Does this make sense?
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
Perfect sense. And yes. It very well could be the Transmitter needing to be replaced. Sounds like it probably has gotten dropped one too many times. Regardless whether or not you get a new one, you are still going to have to perform this procedure to get it to work.

I guess I should have clarified a little better... I know the Alarm is going to go off...so...Really quick like, this is what you do...Go over the instruction at least twice before going out and doing it, so you will not be caught off guard when you read it in action...Put the KEY in the Switch, and turn it to ON, and really quick like, point the Transmitter to the Passenger Floor Panel and the hit the UNLOCK button while in the same fluid motion you hit the Button, quickly turn the KEY back to OFF (turn - button - turn). This is supposed to enter you into Program Mode and stop the Alarm from going off. Then continue down the procedure.

Just keep in mind, you only have 4 seconds to do each step. This is why preparing yourself by reading the instruction through a couple of times, so you will be familiar with whats going on. If you slip, and go over the 4 seconds on any step, be prepared for a "rude awakening"...lol.

Yes. If your Transmitter is broken, this procedure will not work, and the alarm will just continue to go off.

Yes. This is normal.

I hope this helps you. Let me know how were doing...Thanks, JHoop.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay, if it turns out I must order a new transmitter, can I get an off the shelf version from a place like AutoZone?
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
I just checked Autozone and they do not carry this remote. The Dealership recommends you replace with a factory one. This is a 60.00 dollar remote easy...You can try to call your local Autozone, but online don't have it. Here are a few online choices...

Here
Here
Here

Let me know if this helps. Thanks, JHoop.