Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I can't locate my QuickBooks data file after having restored

Customer Question

I can't locate my QuickBooks data file after having restored my computer from backup disks. I think I've tried everything.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 11 days ago.

Dear Client,

I am sorry to hear about that problem. My name is***** am a computer expert with 17 years of experience and I will be trying to help you as good as I can.

Can you please let me know which backup software was used to create the backup and what exactly *should* have been backed up (the whole hard drive, just a few folders?).

Please reply at the box below (there are no additional costs associated with this, you can reply as often as you wish).

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I had upgraded to Windows 10 and last used QB Pro 2010 on that system probably in October. Recently when my computer went crazy I decided to go back to a happier time on Windows 7. I used the Desktop Recovery program disks that I had made originally when I first used my new computer on Windows 7. I followed the instructions and created 8 backup disks, which I reinstalled once with no problem and then did so a second time -- again with no error messages. My files, with the exception of QuickBooks Pro data, are there as far as I can tell. I did reinstall QB2010 from the original software without a problem. Is it possible the data is still on my computer or would the reset have wiped it out? Is it possible the data is hiding on the backup disks?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please reply via text. Can't afford the additional charge to talk.

Thanks for your reply, if the data is still there, is a good question indeed, I could help to verify if this is the case if you would allow me to remotely connect to your computer. I fear a solution via text will be very difficult in this case. What do you think about that idea?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable with that, based on some past experience.

Yes, I totally understand, but without doing that, I (and I guess most other experts) will not really be able to help you, since I´d need to see the backup files you have and analyze what is in them. Please let me know your choice, it is of course up to you and I don´t want to force you into anything.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your time. I can appreciate your point, but I've decided against allowing that access.

Thank you too, I will be opting out of your question in this case, since I can´t help you further without seeing the files and what is in them on your computer. Thank you again and best of luck to you. If another expert picks up your question, you will see a new reply here and will be notified by email as well.

Best regards,

Lorenz Vauck