Karen Joinson
Karen Joinson, Client Support & Accountant - 15+ years
Experience:  BS Accounting & Computer Science, QB Certified ProAdvisor
96003480

I use Quicken 2016 Deluxe and download/sync with my bank

Customer Question

I use Quicken 2016 Deluxe and download/sync with my bank several times a week, but my program says my last download was in April. Plus, when I opened my program today, most of my transactions were missing. I restored the account from a backup, but that's pretty scary. How does that happen?
JA: A combination of financial issues and software stuff sounds like a recipe for needing our Expert. You are in the right place. Is there anything else the Financial Software Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not at this time
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Karen Joinson replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your request now. I will respond shortly.

Can you tell me when and what you were doing when you noticed an issue with your bank transaction download?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My issue did not happen during a sync with the bank. I opened my Quicken account, and virtually all of my transactions were missing from June to September. Very scary. I was able to restore from a recent backup, though. However, my account STILL shows my last download was in April. I sync with the bank several times each week!

If you want to try a few troubleshooting tips, you can make sure you are on the latest release of Quicken:

1. Select Tools menu, then choose One Step Update.
  2. Select your account(s) then click on Update Now.

If you needed to update to the latest patch release, check your register to see if the missing transactions have appeared, if not, continue with the troubleshooting steps below.

Do the following steps in order:

1. Check your Quicken Preferences to ensure the transactions are not being auto-accepted into the register: Edit > Preferences > Downloaded Transactions.
  2. Check the Sort Order in your account. If the Sort Order is set to something other than by Date, it's possible the transactions were there but not where you thought they should be. Resetting to the default sort of Date by clicking the Date column should make it easier to see those transactions.
  3. Make sure you're not filtering your account register to ensure you're not missing the transactions simply because they fall outside the filter settings selected. Click the Resetbutton at the top of the register.
  4. Confirm the transactions haven't been renamed unexpectedly. Adding the Downloaded Payee column to the register allows you to search by Payee in order to determine if there was a problem with Renaming/Auto-Categorization. In the register, go toActions (Gear Icon) > Register Columns > Check Downloaded Payee.
  5. Look for Hidden or new/unexpected account registers, to see if the transactions were added to a different register, go to Tools > Account List and check Show Hidden Accounts.
  6. Refresh your account: go to Tools > Account List and click Edit next to the affected account. On the Online Services tab, select Reset Account.

Next - if you are on the latest release and still believe there could be an issue, download the mondo patch from this link:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Select Download Mondo, save the exe file to your pc and run the file.

Here are some additional tips from Quicken regarding missing transactions:

• Do you have a data file larger than 5 MB? If you have a very large data file and you're missing transactions, use the Validate command to check the file's integrity. If Quicken finds problems with this file, it may rebuild it.
  • Do you have errors on your hard drive? Cross-linked files or lost allocation units can cause problems in any application. If you have file errors on your hard drive, use a hard drive utility to fix them. After fixing them, start Quicken and verify your Quicken data.
  • If you turned off your computer without closing Quicken, verify your data. Quicken saves your data as you work. However, if you turned off your computer immediately after entering a transaction, Quicken may not have updated your file. Restart Quicken and validate your Quicken data.

One other item noted on the update and release notes for Quicken 2016 is this:

File Conversion

• FIXED: An issue where all transactions would be lost for some users while upgrading from Quicken Windows 2015 R8 to Quicken Windows 2016, if the data file had a few corrupted records.

So if you have recently upgraded, this could be a cause as well.

Does this answer your request? If so, can you accept the answer please? If not, please send me feedback or additional concerns and I will respond.

Have a great night!

Thanks,

Karen

Does this answer your request? If so, can you accept the answer please? If not, please send me feedback or additional concerns and I will respond. Have a great night! Thanks,Karen
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 months ago.

The most likely cause of your problem was that the transactions were not missing but the register was sorted wrong. If it is sorted by anything but date you wont see many recent transactions and it is easy to assume that they are gone.

The miss sorting can also occur very easily. clicking on the title bar even accidentally will cause the register to be sorted by that column. sorting on the word date above the date column will put it back in date order.

If you want to try clicking on the title bar above some of the other columns you can see what it would look like and if that is what might have happened to you. If so you can see how easy it is to do accidentally and how easy it is to fix. Hopefully that will reassure you of the integrity of your quicken program. But having backups is always a good idea :)

Hi -

I would agree with Robert except for the download file dated April rather than a more current date. And step 2 on my response after verifying update was check the sort order.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks, Karen

Hi -

Did any of the above solutions solve your issue? If not, please let me know and I will continue to review. If so, that is awesome news! At JustAnswer, we value your feedback and rating of our service so we can ensure all customers have a great experience and will continue to use JustAnswer in the future for all your business software questions.Thanks, Karen
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Karen. I've been too busy to try your suggestions above. But, just today, I cannot even sync with the bank - at all. Quicken will not connect. While in Quicken/my account, I click on "One Step Update", which then brings up a box that says "Enter Vault Password". Since I don't have a vaulted password, I just click on "skip" and it typically starts the sync. But today, after I click on "skip", nothing happens.

Hi -

Lets try to reset your link to the bank first - follow these steps please:

Press Ctrl-A To go to the account list and select the account not working and click edit. Next, under the Online Services tab,
select the reset button and this will reset the link between Quicken and your bank. If the reset does not work, you can select
remove and add the link back to online services. Be sure you know your bank id and password.

Let me know if this allows you to download bank data.

Karen

NOTE: Please back up your data files prior to proceeding.

If you are not able to reset link or one step update, try downloading and install mondo patch for Quicken 2016:

Select How to Use the Mondo Patch Update then select Download Mondo, save the exe file to your pc and run the file.

Then try downloading transactions again.

Hi -

Did any of the above solutions solve your issue? If not, please let me know and I will continue to review.

If so, that is awesome news! At JustAnswer, we value your feedback and rating of our service so we can ensure all customers have a great experience and will continue to use JustAnswer in the future for all your business software questions.

Thanks, Karen