Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent

I am looking for a software like quickbooks online but

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I am looking for a software like quickbooks online but simpler and more detailed than Quicken. We have been using quickbooks on a PC and now have moved to a ios system. Idealy we would like something that would interface with the migrated files from PC to Mac and read the migrated files. We are not sure we would be happy with the monthly expense of quickbooks online. Is there a simpler solution? Thank you, Pete
JA: A combination of financial issues and software stuff sounds like a recipe for needing our Expert. You are in the right place. Is there anything else important you think the Financial Software Technician should know?
Customer: My wife runs a small business. All she needs to do is have differ categories to enter expenses income in. Like rentals, business, personal. We would also like to find a mobile app, that would sync with the ios program, that we both could enter data from our android phones
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer,

I am certified in Information Technology by American Institute of Certified Public Accountant in addition to being a CPA.

What you talked about like Quickbook and Quicken for individual small businesses, I would refer to them as "over the counter" canned packages. Quicken has more problems than Quickbook. Both and some other products are becoming more and more complicated to use. They want to do both accounting journal entries and financial reporting and touch screen type of user friendly feature.

I have two recommendations for you. One is to simply use Microsoft Excel. You have date, items, amounts, etc. When I do tax accounting for my clients, this is what I do. This method is simple, quick and clear to view.

The other is to consider a professional software. Drake software. It is cheap and relatively correct and has professional quality. It is designed for professional accountants who serve several and unlimited clients including payroll returns. It also comes with Drake Tax Software. This is one of the best products. I think the whole package is only like less than 1,200. I have no personal interest in this product or its name. You can search on line to review the product. Sometimes, they have local demonstrations. Their technical support on line is also good. I have not been on hold since I used their tax software for two years. For any of the other canned packages, we can even hardly find a telephone number to call. Enclosed is one of the website articles.

As to enter data from the cell phone, hopefully, you have less data than that to handle. Doing accounting on the go is not the best way to handle accounting and bookkeeping. It increases much chance for making mistakes.

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP