Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

Is it possible to convert from QuickBooks to Quicken? Is it

Customer Question

Is it possible to convert from QuickBooks to Quicken?
JA: A combination of financial issues and software stuff sounds like a recipe for needing our Expert. You are in the right place. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Is it possible to convert from QuickBooks to Quicken?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Financial Software Technician should know?
Customer: No
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name's lane. I can help on this one.

...

Intuit doesn't have an automated way to convert QuickBooks data into Quicken data.

...

But if you're good with Excel, theres a way to do it ... Hang on and I'll pull up the knowledgebase on that

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

If you've exported data from quickbooks before this should be easy.

...

See this:

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

This is the only thing I've seen that works.

....

Here's a good overview of what's happening:

...

Export Chart of Accounts and Vendor Lists

First and foremost, you’ll need to export your chart of accounts along with the vendor list from your Quickbooks account to your desktop.

...

You do this by selecting “File,” “Utilities,” “Export” and “Lists To IIF Files.” Simply choose the chart of accounts you wish to export and save them to your desktop. During the save confirmation, make sure the file extension is set to IFF. This will allow you to reopen the files later using Microsoft Excel.

...

Exporting the vendor lists from Quickbooks requires a slightly different approach. While you are logged in as the administrator, open up the vendor center and click on “Excel” in the header. From there, click on “Export Vendor List” followed by the “Export” button.

...

Name your file and click on “Save” to send the vendor lists to your computer. As with the previous step, check to make sure the vendor lists save as IFF format; otherwise, you won’t be able to convert into Quicken format.

...

Transferring Data To Quicken Format

Now that you have your chart of accounts and vendor lists, you can begin transferring the account into Quicken format. Located the previously saved files on your desktop or hard drive and open them using Microsoft Excel.

...

If this is your first time attempting to open files using this method, here's how you do it:

...

Find the file and right click on the icon. You'll see a list of options appear, one of which should say “Open With.”

...

Mouse over (hover over) the option and left click on "Micosoft Excel."

...

With the excel file containing your Quickbooks data open, select “File” and then “Export.”

...

After you'll then be asked to select a format.

...

Now, here’s the most important part of this entire process – you must save your accounts in QIF format in order for Quicken to read them.

...

If you are simply saving addresses to open, however, you can save the file as “Names.” For accounts and charts, always save the file in QIF format.

...

After saving the file as QIF, you should now be able to open it like you normally would in Quicken.

...

Start your Quicken software and import the file into your account. As long as the file was saved in QIF format, it should appear in your account.

...

By the way, you can perform the steps to convert Quicken data into Quickbooks format as well.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.

You are welcome to try the above but i do not believe that it will work.

Aside from anything else there is no qif selection when you export from excel and modern quicken has extremely limited ability to import from a qif file anyway.

Quickbooks and Quicken are very different programs. While QB is a double entry book keeping system quicken is just a glorified check book.

you can not export and import your chart of accounts because quicken does not have a chart of accounts. There is no general ledger in quicken.

There is an upgrade path from quicken to quickbooks only because Intuit created one because they want to sell the upgrade. They flat out tell you that there is no way to go from quickbooks to quicken.